Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kannan RK (IAS)     09 January 2016

Complaint against bank

Dear Members,

I have a Personal Loan and a 2 wheeler loan from a public sector bank . I am from Chennai and was badly affected by the last month's Flood. My EMI due date  is 4th and 5th of every month respectively for PL and 2 wheeler loan. Due to Floods my office was closed and i got the salary only by 6th of December . On 4th of December , I requested the bank to consider the situation and allow me to pay the EMI by around 10th of December. 

The RBI and State Govt. had announced that there should not be any late payment charges for the month of December . I transferred the exact amount of money for the EMI's for both the loans to my bank account by 6th of December and bank debited the EMI for PL from my account with late payment fees. Then they tried deducting EMI for my 2 wheeler loan and they could not due to insufficient funds (Had they not levied the late payment charges , there would have been enough amount in my account). After understanding this through the bank statement , I called the phone banking and explained the situation. They told me that the additionally dedcuted money will be recredited and adjusted.

After few days I transferred some money to account for shopping purpose and to pay some bills and went to a super market to purchase some goods . While attempting to make the payment , the payment got declined repeatedly and I had to leave the goods back at the Super market. When I checked the bank statement later , I found that the entire money was deducted by the bank in terms of late payment and bounce charges . I sent a complaint email and the person who called me from bank was not ready to listen to me and was speaking to me in a very harsh manner. My internet connection , phone connections were suspended due to non payment of bills.

After a couple of days , the bank called me and informed that they understood my concern and will reverse the late payment charges . I got the late payment charges but not the money they deducted for bounce charges. Now , in this month I transferred the EMI amount to my account on 4th (@ 3.50 pm). They did not deduct the amount . When enquired they say that the bank tried to deduct the money before I transferred the amount and now they are demanding late payment charges and bounce charges. I told them that it was agreed between me and the bank that EMI will be deducted from my account on 4th of every month. 

It seems like this bank uses this strategy to loot money from many people. They manage this well through their irresponsible phone banking agents and rude representatives. Please suggest , how should I legally tackle this money looter bank? Requesting everyones help on this .

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

You Coulf File the Complaints With Banking Ombudsman Office Of RBI.It could be done Online also.Check their Website.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 January 2016

You have posted that:

"The RBI and State Govt. had announced that there should not be any late payment charges for the month of December ."

You may stress upon these notifications and demand to reverse all charges.

Regarding the representations made by you, and promises made to you,............................you may cite these and demand reversal and loss sufferred by you.

Usually the ECS hits anytime on the fixed day and a/c shuld have sufficient balance.

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     09 January 2016

Mr.Kannan, it is understandable the kind of mental turmoil u had undergone with the bank, but to mitigate the issue it is better to walk in to the bank and reduce your grievances in to writing and solve the issue. At this stage i do not think any lawyer can interfere as the situation doesnot warrants.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register