LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mita (Admin)     06 August 2012

Can pio / oci hold property in india?

Recently I read that Indian born who have been living outside India and have taken the nationality of that country can not hold immovable proety in India.  Is that correct?  What if the property was bought when the I still had Indian passport but lived out of the country?  Currently, I have taken the nationality of the coutry I currently reside, what are my rights?   Can somebody please help me with correct response.  Earlier I had contacted a lawyer thru; this site who initially wrote back but after that never heard from him.  I would like any correct information on this.

thank you

Learning

2 Replies

vaibhav jain (none)     07 August 2012

both pio & oci can take part in housing scheme of Lic, state govenment & other agencies. similarly they can aquire, hold,dispose an immovable property except agriculture or platation land. as per indian passport act 1967 only indian citizen in india & indian citizens living outside india can hold indian passport. so if u were an indian citizen at the time property was brought & contined to be so while living in foreign country as indian citizen, then its all right oterwise not. on your cessesion of being indian u r not entiled to hold indian passport.

vaibhav jain (none)     07 August 2012

however if constitution of a country where u r resding have a provision of dual citizenship then the position will be different

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register