LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Alacrity   03 September 2023

Can i sue my landlord?

I got kicked out of the house as my guardians hadn't paid the money in a long time. However the landlord gave an official court notice only a while back, and all of the previous extensions were verbal and unofficial. The notice said they would evict us within 30 days, but they showed up within 4 days.

Is it enough of a time & was it legal? I am guessing that you have to give a minimum of 15 days at least. Even if "within 30 days" means "you'll get evicted within 30 days" and not "you have 30 days time" is 4 days enough time according to the law?

Other facts: His wife had harassed me by asking me personally for money two years back when I was a minor. The landlord also claimed that we hadn't paid any money at all (present in the court order so he lied about it to the officials) & demanded what we have already covered. Also lied about how he were reluctant to draw a rental agreement while coming to stay here. All of that are false. He also defamed us by informing the neighbours about how we haven't paid any money.

Also the officials who had arrived wouldn't let us explain & said we have to leave as we don't have a stay at the very moment, although we have applied for one. When we said we've applied for one, the officer didn't like that and stepped into the house without permission by getting into our faces and placing a hand on the wall to intimidate us, and threatened to get us arrested. Began to dump our stuff with the landlord's but wouldn't hear our protests because he said that's not relevant. Also wouldn't let us explain to the other officers.

Can I sue him for illegal eviction, defamation and harassment?

Learning

2 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     03 September 2023

The posting is rather disjointed and lacks clarity. Please post simple but consistent facts.

Alacrity   03 September 2023

Hello, the facts are:

1. The eviction notice said they would evict us within 30 days, but the eviction took place only 4 days later. They had not given any time officially before this.

2. The landlord lied in the court order that we have never paid him any money and that we hadn't even drawn a legal agreement with him, both of which are false. I have the receipts to prove this.

3. His wife harassed me a few years earlier by asking me for money when I was a minor, instead of my parents.

4. They defamed us by informing the neighbours/society that we haven't paid them money.

5. While evicting, the officers didn't let us offer any explanation and said that it doesn't matter if I have applied for a stay because I don't have at the moment and would therefore have to leave.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register