Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

fighting back (exec)     26 March 2012

Can desertion by husband amount to cruelty

dear members,

if husband decides to stay away from wife, but continues to visit her once a week, and also reports this matter to the womens cell, that due to frequent arguements he has decided to stay away from wife, and wife does not appear before the womens cell on the given dates, and one fine day appears out of nowhere to complain about desertion by husband.

dear members, does the above act by the husband fall into the category of desertion or does it fall into crueltly. kindly elaborate.

tahnks

Learning

6 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     26 March 2012

No.  It is not desertion for the reason he is visiting once in a week.  desertion is seen in legal angle completely different way than generally people perceive it.  A spouse can be called to have deserted the other spouse even though they are living under the same roof.  Similarly, a spouse cannot be called to have deserted the other spouse even though he has been living thousands of miles away from the other one.  in a nutshell, desertion means to withdraw from the state of things related to matrmony.  so, courts scrutinise the facts to come to a conclusion of desertion.

Again, visiting once in a week may be cruel or may not be depending upon the facts exist between the spouses. 

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     26 March 2012

Desertion has two elements :-

i) Physical Seperation;

ii) Animus Deserdendi - i.e in laymanish terms - physical withdrawal should have been done with the intention to put cohabitation to an end. To forsake matrimony finally and completely. 

If the H is visiting the wife - the intention element is clearly absent.

and this particular case if the Wife is the person who has forced the husband to stay away and only visit ocassionally - it is the wife who is guilty of desertion (called virtual desertion).  

desertedhusband (na)     26 March 2012

Mr. Bharat, can you throw some light on the first point, Physical Seperation. I mean when you say physical separation, who is the deserted one? the one who is left or the one who leaves. for examle if a wife leaves husband's home and has been living with her parents and does not come back to her husband and husband also did not go to bring her back. have been livng separately for two years afterwards. who is deserted in this case? can wife claim to be deserted in this case by giving the reason that her husband did not come to fetch her?

Also, I am sorry to be querist in a thread created by some one else..

Regards,

fighting back (exec)     27 March 2012

@adv chandu..

thank you sir for your your views on my query............

fighting back (exec)     27 March 2012

@adv bharat chugh,

dear sir, would like to thank you for your kind views on my query..............

desertedhusband (na)     27 March 2012

Hello Mr. Bharat, 

May I request you to oblige me with the answer to my query above?

thanks in advance

abc

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register