LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Maximilian Dante (Student)     26 May 2013

Can a landlord evict me for having a guest

Can my landlord evict me for having a guest? 

I currently live in a co-op housing society on a leave and license. My girlfriend is visiting from the US and wants to stay with me for the duration of her visa(6 months) Can the landlord deny that?

Learning

7 Replies

Rajendra K Goyal (Advocate)     26 May 2013

The landlord can not deny for your guests staying with you until and unless they are with in agreed terms of rent agreement.

Maximilian Dante (Student)     26 May 2013

What if it's not a part of the agreement? Can the society deny her? I live in Thane(Maharashtra)

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     26 May 2013

No he cannot. 

Rajendra K Goyal (Advocate)     26 May 2013

Agreed with Adv. Rajoo.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     26 May 2013

Normally a house taken on  rent cannot be sublet in part or whole of the house. If you collect rent from the guest that will amount to subletting. If a guest stays for six months continuously, a suspicion can arise that you have sublet the house. But that you have actually sublet is difficult to prove. If the landlord sees a stranger in the house he can ask you in writing the status of the stranger. If you do not reply the suspicion will be strengthened. Further how will the landlord know that the guest will quit.

Maximilian Dante (Student)     27 May 2013

We are willing to provide a copy of the visa and plane ticket to the owner.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     28 May 2013

If the landlord ever asks you or take objection, you can show him the visa and the plane ticket. Good luck.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register