LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saikat Biswas (SAP Consultant)     22 October 2014

Anullment proposal

Hi, I have got married 2 months back, arranged marriage. Before marriage I told my mother that I wont be happy in this marriage, only that this is for her. And I also asked the girl to back off several times and let her know that I am not willing into this marriage with my own wish but for my mother....I was going through the traumatic phase of a broken relation then and was emotionally unstable to force a 'No' on this marriage. Immediately after marriage (exactly one day later) I left for an overseas job and in course of past 2 months I have gained better clarity for my life and this marriage seems to be a total mistake to me, and I want to void it. After marriage neither have we spent a complete day together as husband and wife nor did we have any s*xual encounter. I really do not wish to continue this agony further and end this mistake commited in a weak moment where I was emotionally unstable to say a strong 'No' to my mother as well as the girl. Can anyone please suggest if annulment would be appropriate in my case? If yes, how to proceed? I think the girl's side wont be ready to accept!

Learning

4 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     22 October 2014

The remedy lies to you under section 12 (1)(c) of Hindu Marriage Act saying that you are forced to go by marriage and force was put by your mother.  In the witness box, if she comes and accepts that she used undue force to get your concent, you would get annulment. 

chowdary (Advocate)     23 October 2014

Both agreed file divorce petition meetual before Court

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     24 October 2014

Dear,

Yes can file a petition u/s 12 for the annulment of marriage. `

Adv Kapil Chandna

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     24 October 2014

You cannot file petition for Nullity u/s.12[1][c].   No body has cheated you.  For claiming Nullity u/s.12[1][c] i.e. consent was obtained by fraud or cheating.  Your story does not fall within the ambit of s.12[1][c] of Hindu Marriage Act.  In fact, it does not even fall u/s.12[1][a] i.e. non-consummation as your marriage is not consummated.   It is not consummated ..not owing to the impotency of your spouse but because of you as you were not willing to get married.   You are major matured, life time decision, you are depending on your mother.   You yourself said to yr spouse prior to marriage that you were not willing but for your mother.   Now you have to accept.  You have only one chance of mutual consent u/s.13B  that you can file after 1 year of separation only.

But very very rare chance of filing Petition u/s.11 i.e. Annulment of marriage i.e. void marriage ab initio, means the marriage could be voidable right from the beginning, read with s.5 of Hindu Marriage Act.  Valid consent..  Consent obtained by force is no consent.   But you have to prove that you had no consent and that you had informed your wife so....

Anamika Vichare

Advocate Family Court, Bandra, Mumbai

Purush Hakka Saurakshan Samittee

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register