Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KK (asdasda)     21 February 2014

Alimony/house loan

Dear Sirs,

I've been married for about a year. My wife through out the period has been extremely quarrelsome with me and my family and is suicidal. It has been a big effort for me to just make sure she doesn't do anything. Pretty much a mute spectator trying to go by her wishes as anything against her wishes is immediately met by severe fights ending with death threats.

With a lot of effort I've finally managed to send her back to her home and I wish to file divorce. I don't mind paying her for her upkeep but don't want to loose a chunk of my income in the process.

I have a heavy home loan running, for a flat I purchased recently about 2 months back.  I'm worried that when asked to pay for alimony, I may be unable to bear the EMI. 

Please kindly advice on whether the EMI will be considered when deciding Alimony. The flat is in my name. Any idea how much % of my income is likely to be granted as Alimony? She is a post-graduate, but not working. 

Any help/Advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

Learning

5 Replies

vanitha.U.M (ADVOCATE)     21 February 2014

once you file divorce need to be prove the grounds on it. when it sustains their must me maintenance to be given by u if she claims for maintenance 

KK (asdasda)     21 February 2014

Vanitha,

Thanks for your response. I understand that I will need to pay maintainance. I don't intend not to.

My question pertains more to: Will the maintenance amount be decided taking into consideration the EMI on my housing loan. The EMI brings down my net take home. But since it is for a flat I own, I wonder if the courts will not consider it. If that is the case, I need to put my flat on sale immediately, since I certainly will not be able to pay the EMIs. 

Thanks.

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     22 February 2014

Yes KK the maintenace will be decided on several factors but most of the judges will have the formula of 1/3rd or 2/3rd. Generally your income-expenses is considered for granting the maintenance. You car loan emi, housing loan EMI, regular medical expenditure spent on immediate dependents; your lic premiums will be considered as expenses. Now your question is just a bullet fired in the air. You file a divorce case, let her file interim maintenance case then you come to this forum with legal assistance we all will guide you.why be so apprehensive when you have decided for something big. Hypothetically you may be lucky that she may agree for MCD without alimony or may file PWDVA and 498 A and so many false cases. Nobody knows it so go ahead and take each steps as it comes.

KK (asdasda)     22 February 2014

Sandykrish,

Thanks a lot for your response.  The fact that you say the EMI will be taken into consideration is quite a relief. 

I totally get it that I may get lucky or unlucky. But want to be prepared what ever the case is. (Real estate is hard to liquidate). 

When you say 1/3 or 2/3rd do you mean 1/3 or 2/3 of what is left after my expenses or before? I tend to think it is before... This point is quite crucial for me as the house loan I'm running is a heavy emi. I didn't foresee any chances of something like this happening, so I opted  for a low tenure, which inturn spiked up the EMI. It wouldn't have been a problem if all had been well, I'd have been able to manage it. But now with a divorce on the cards, I doubt.  Hence thought I will ask here, since I'm sure there must be numerous others in the past that have landed in the same situation as me, i.e., with a emi to pay and divorce maintainance. Just wanted to know what has happened in the past in these cases... was the emi considered?

Thanks!

dinesh kanchi (manager)     22 February 2014

It's good to hear that EMIs and medical expendiatures are consided while awarding maintenance.

What if you have some proofs about your wife's adultery? will it have effect on maintenance?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register