Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Laxmikant J (Engineer)     27 April 2015

Working hour in psu

Dear sir,

I am working as executive in Bhatar Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL), a government undertaking, a Public sector Company.

As per the rules of BHEL every employee has to work for 48 hours a week, as written in our rule list.

BHEL has different divisions i.e, Corporate office, Regional Office, Power Sector Head Quarters, manufacturing units, Construction sites.

THe corporate office/Power Sector Head Quarters/Regional Offices works in first and third weeks from monday to Saturday  from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (including 1 hour lunch) making it 48 hours a week work,

while on second and forth week working time from monday to frinday is 9:00 am to 6:00 pm  (including 1 hour lunch) making it just 40 Hours a week work.

In Manufacturing units, the working is generally in shift, and employees has to work in shift of 9 hours (including 1 hours lunch time), making it 48 hours/week for all 4 weeks of month.

Many construction SITE works, 9:00 am to 6:00pm (Including one hour lunch break), while in my sites work timing has been 9:00 am to 7:00 pm (Including two hour lunch break from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm).

While asking them to do it 9:00am to 6:00 am, as most of companies divisions run. IN reply they say "it cant be done,you are working just 8 hours, you have to follow this timing"

My question is,

1.sience maximum working hours is 10 hours a day as per BOCW Act (as i know),  whether comapny can extend the timings of lunch and make you work for 9 to 7, six day a week? Is there any rule related to lunch hour? Is this not enequality? If it is, what can I do?

2. Since COrporate office/ Power Sectore head quarters/Regional office enjoys weekly off on second and forth saturday, then why we Construction site employee are forced to work 6 days a week, without giving holiday of second and forth saturday? Is it fair that in same company they are enjoying 6 holidays a month, and we are having just 4 holidays a month? Is this not enequality? If it is, what can I do?

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 April 2015

The insertion of work hours in rules 48 hrs/week is right. The 2 hour lunch break is unprecedented. You can certainly ask to make it reasonable to 1hrs.......however move it thru employees/trade unions/works committee/GRC ...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register