LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HorizonTwentyTwo (IT)     14 August 2016

Stipend issue for work done during normal working hours

I work in a K12 international school that has an annual operational budget. There are some specific programs like Summer Program that operates in the month of June/July where students from outside of school participate as well. This program has a separate budget and annual P/L sheets are prepared for presentation the operations director.

My concerns: 

1. Is this actually legal to have two separate budgets?
  2. Secondly, if the budget for Summer Program is separate, can employer pay salaries/stipend to “some" workers who provide services for Summer Program "from the overall annual budget"?
  3. The issue is that my employer expects me to work without stipend for the work I do during normal working hours "for Summer Program" and thus denying me a stipend because I am working during normal hours. This otherwise will be available if that work is done outside of normal working hours, or during the month of June/July.
I do not believe this is reasonable because having a separate budget for the Program and expecting the employee to work during “normal” working hours may not be exactly legal.

What are my rights in such case? Can I refuse to work for Summer Program during normal working hours because that program is budgeted separate and offer services outside of working hours or during June/July so as to qualify for stipend?

What are your thoughts?

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 August 2016

Are you paid salary for;month of June/July?

Are these months holidays/summer vacation?

During work hours employee is at the discretion of employer!

HorizonTwentyTwo (IT)     14 August 2016

June/July is off for me. Yes, I am paid salary during the month of June/July however, technically it is not true because my salary is calculated based on number of working days in an year and then divided by 12 to spread it evenly through the year. 

I understand employee is at a descrition of employee during normal working hours but my concern is how legal it is to have a separate budget for the Program and then have the employee work on something that is not directly covered under his employment contract. Does not it amounts to have a separate company and having an employee work for it? 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 August 2016

"my salary is calculated based on number of working days in an year and then divided by 12 to spread it evenly through the year. "

What is this method?

Is it agreed upon by you?

Does it not include off days and only working days?

If employee is called to work during off day/holiday then OT may be applicable or comepnsatory off.

The school is affilliated to which board?

The school is under which state Education Act?

Relate with the service rules advocated under both.

HorizonTwentyTwo (IT)     16 August 2016

Thank you. I will definitely look into your suggestions and find way forward. I do however have specific concerns about separate budgets being prepared. 

Do you believe that having seprate budgets prohibits employers for cross-using the employees. I don't really understand why a separate budget will be required if the goal simply to work out the finances. 

What are your thoughts?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 August 2016

If the separate budget is for some work outside the purview of contracted employees then what is the harm in paying for extra wortk and compute such expenses in such budget!

If some profit is generated then what is the harm in sharing it with headcount!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register