LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Srividhya Arun   17 April 2017

Sole rights or shared rights over ancestral property

My husband's grandfather wrote a will settling his individual house among his three sons. Since my father-in-law had already expired he willed it to my mother-in-law (mentioning her sons' names - ie my husband and my brother-in-law). That individual house was demolished and constructed as apartment complex and my mother-in-law got one apartment as her share (share here means 1/3 of the value of the property). 

Now my mother-in-law wants to settle this apartment to her two sons (my husband and brother-in-law). My brother-in-law does not want to retain the apartment and hence agreed to provide release deed in return for the 50% value of the apartment by cash.

My questions are:

1. Since it is an ancestral property, is that like my mother-in-law and her two sons have equal rights over the apartment (33% each)? Or does she have sole ownership?

2. How should the documentation be? Settlement deed or release deed or both from the other parties?

Appreciate your valuable answers and advice. 

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 April 2017

You have posted that:

"he willed it to my mother-in-law (mentioning her sons' names - ie my husband and my brother-in-law)"

Pls post the exact language as in WILL.

The language can point to response for you.

(Guest)

Document examination is required in this case. 

Reason

After reconstruction or how you did reconstruction legally and further how apratment where alloted .

Some state have their own Apartment act and whether you have fullfilled the provisio under that act made proper documents. 

Just calling apartment don't become apartment , proper procedure under apartment act is required to be completed .

After examining all then only things can be told 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register