Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Santhosh   29 November 2017

Should a girl change her name for company purpose

Hello Sir/Madam,

My wife possesses only the first name and the same is available in all her records from childhood(10th, 12th, Caste Certificate, Aadhaar, PAN, VoterId, Insurance, Marriage Certificate, Bank accounts etc). While joining into an IT company, HR people made it mandatory to provide last name in order to fit the employee name into their system. So my wife provided her father's name as last name during joining formalities.

Now the new name has been updated in the corporate salary account of the bank also. If she gets opportunity to go abroad(onsite) for office purpose, the company will provide her profile details with the new name.

Please recommend whether she has to change her name or not.

If YES, should she has to change all her records and documents(10th, 12th, Caste Certificate, Aadhaar, PAN, VoterId, Insurance, Marriage Certificate, Bank accounts  etc)? Please advise.

If NO, does it create problem when opportunities to go abroad is offered by her company? Please advise.

Note : We live in Karnataka

Thanks in advance for your inputs and recommendations.

Learning

9 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     29 November 2017

No need to change of name. Simply submit an affidavit peraining to the identity.

Santhosh   29 November 2017

Thank you Rama chary Rachakonda Sir for the quick reply. Can you please elaborate what does "submit an affidavit pertaining to the identity" mean? Actually I did not understand.

1. Can you please tell me what affidavit you mentioned here?

2. Whom should we submit the affidavit?

3. Where and all we can make use of this affidavit.

4. Should it contain the original name or the new name(as per company records)?

Thank you once again

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 November 2017

Generically speaking: A person’s name (1st+middle+last+sirname..) is one that is christened from birth and entered in his/her birth certificate and in all other docs as mentioned by you.

A woman after marriage may adopt her in laws cast.

It is unusual that an IT company like on mentioned by you adds a last name just to fit into IT’s system and employee agrees to it.

It should have been satisfied with name as in proper docs issued by the govt.

If required IT can ask to enter religion, cast in other columns.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     29 November 2017

While one can declare Mrs…………..and Mrs……..is one and same person and/or go for gazette notification…………..the employee may also chose to write to the employer to keep her name as in docs submitted by it an change IT’s internal records and also in salary a/c in bank.

Santhosh   30 November 2017

All,

Thank you so much for your inputs.

In some forums, they say, if there is no last name or sir name in the passport it would be create trouble in countries like US, when we get an opportunity to go abroad(Onsite) for office work. This is one of the reasons why we want to change the name.

Please advise.

Considering all my scenarios from beginning, If name change for my wife is recommended, please let me know the correct procedure.

Please do the needful.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     30 November 2017

How and why the Passport authorities shall accept changes made in the profile vis-a-vis other documents?

No chance.

P. Venu (Advocate)     30 November 2017

There is no naming Act i.e. the law providing the stipulations as to a person could be or should be named. A person, certainly, can have the name of his/her choice  (or the name the parents had chosen).

It is only that once a name appears in public records, due process should be followed in changing the same. So also, in case of disrepancy in respect name in two public records, the same could be explained through an affidavit.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 November 2017

The name as in private IT company’s record and salary a/c is not public document.

Other docs as mentioned by you are docs of public record.

Hop you have the copy HR forms submitted to the company containing number and narration of ID’s submitted by employee. The ID’s are as issued by govt. and as mentioned by you.

The company may agree to mention in writing that last name is father’s name that was added to the name of employee and that both names as in IT’s records and as per ID’s that was OSV belong to one and same person.

Try if the company agrees or make them agree.

Or check at your own level what the requirements of PO are, and comply. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 November 2017

The HR forms submitted to private IT company are not valid name change docs.

The name should have been entered as per ID's and even bank should have opened a/c in name as per KYC docs i.e ID's as mentioned by you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register