Shops and establishments registeration query


I went to the Municipal Corporation in Andheri, Mumbai today to get a Shops and Establishment registeration for my sole proprietership concern.

I will be working alone from my house. My house is in my grandmothers name and I got a notarised paying guest agreement done with her. The light and telephone bills are in my fathers name and I got a NOC from him. I gave my passport, drivers license and pan card xerox.

The person in the Shops and Establishments told me that I cannot run a commercial enterprise from my residential address. I would need to get a NOC from the society, put up a name plate outside my door in Marathi and apply for a new electricity meter under commercial category.

At the end, he said I could pay Rs. 8000-10000 and avoid all these hassles.

I would like to know if the information he told me, about not being able to run a business from my residence was correct. I will be working alone. Do I need a NOC from the society.

I am applying for Shops and Establishments registeration for opening a current account.



Kapil Aggarwal


It all depends on what type of business you want to establish. It is true that society NOC will be required when you are operating commercial activities from a residential premises and if you get society NOC then all the BMC requirements and shop and establishment provisions shall apply to you.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu