Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter

Search for Lawyers          

Please Wait ..

Discussion > Taxation > Service Tax > Service Tax on Rental   Unanswered Threads Post New Topic

Pages : 1 2

There are 12 Replies to this message

VISHAL BHASIN

Director
[ Scorecard : 28]
Posted On 10 March 2011 at 23:50 Report Abuse

I wish to lease a commercial property for Rs 150000 per month, is there a way of avoiding Service Tax, the building has a 82KW Genset, 4 Floors with Electrical Fittings/ Office Furniture etc,tx

Online certification courses in IP, IT and Social Media laws

Jerry Lopez

Lawyer
[ Scorecard : 30]
Posted On 11 March 2011 at 14:29 Report Abuse

Dear Vishal,

Under Section 65(90a) the renting of immovble property is a taxable service. Hence, you being the service provider are liable pay the Service Tax on the same.  

However, i do not understand why you would want to avoid it as the service tax can always be validly charged upon the service recipient and same can be deposited by you with the Revenue, but the same has to be expressedly mentioned in the lease deed. A recipient is not liable to bear service tax, unless he agrees to do so contractually, or it is specifically provided under the Service Tax Rules. Hence, only an expressed contract can save you form bearing the costs of Service Tax liability. 

However, there is no way that you can escape the tax liability unless the service thus rendered are being rendered to educational institute which i suppose is not the case....

However, i wish to submit that as per the judgement of Hon'ble High Court of Delhi, the mere act of conveyance of the immovable property does not amount to rendering service, there must be something extra of the nature of servitude that qualifies it as a service. But the same has been challenged by the Revenue before the Hon'ble Supreme Court and is pending adjudication.....

Though the hopes of us taxation lawyers are high but still for the time being i shall advise that you keep yourself prepared to pay the tax......

Mohd Shakeel

Accounts Officer
[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 12 March 2011 at 14:10 Report Abuse

What are current percentages of income tax ?

~~~~~Rahim

Entrepreneur
[ Scorecard : 74]
Posted On 13 March 2011 at 22:56 Report Abuse

Mine is the same case but its a 3 room flat, which i am proposing to lease out @15000 pm for 10 motnhs. So what is rate of Service Tax and would be getting rent by cash?

Jerry Lopez

Lawyer
Posted On 14 March 2011 at 11:35 Report Abuse

Dear Rahim,

Rs.15000*12= Rs.180000/- only. This means you are exempted from payment of Service Tax.... So just relax...

~~~~~Rahim

Entrepreneur
Posted On 14 March 2011 at 14:49 Report Abuse

^Thanks. What is the upper limit of this kind of exemption? What if i lease 2 units ? Will the exemtion still persist?

Jerry Lopez

Lawyer
Posted On 14 March 2011 at 17:45 Report Abuse

Rahim....

You don't need to do anything till your value of services remains below Rs. 9,00,000/- per annum; anything above and after that; you can contact me.....

Bye

~~~~~Rahim

Entrepreneur
Posted On 15 March 2011 at 21:37 Report Abuse

Thank you sir :)

Hetalkumar

Asst. Vice President (Legal)
[ Scorecard : 114]
Posted On 20 February 2012 at 11:03 Report Abuse

Dear Sir,

Please let me aware myself as to applicability of service tax on the side of Service Provider or with acquirer, statutorily ? Please guide as to whether this is applicable to the service provider or acquirer as per Act / Statute, if the income goes to over and above limit of Rs. 10-lacs per annum ?

Please Guide in line of any judgement  / verdict by appex court.

Regards,

Hetalkumar Hindocha

Vineet

Director
[ Scorecard : 3124]
Posted On 20 February 2012 at 18:47 Report Abuse

Service tax is levied on service provider who invariably passes it on the service recipient as in case of VAT.

Service providers having gross receipts from services upto Rs 10 Lakh per annum are exempt. But if receipts are more than that amount, ST leviable on the whole amount .

Service tax on rental of immovable properties for commercial purposes is more or less settled with all high courts Bombay, Delhi, Assam, Gujrat, Punjab & Haryana upholding the same. Still some hopefuls are contesting it before Supreme Court where Honble court has also refused to grant any stay on levy wef 1-10-2011 onwards.

Related Files

Previous Thread
Previous
Next Thread
Next