LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Satyajit Parekh (SRA)     29 June 2010

Service Tax on Apartment

I booked a flat in Bangalore in November 2005 which is still under construction and I have not yet taken possession. I registered my sale deed in April 2008. My original booking form from November 2005 states that service tax and VAT is additionally applicable. I am yet to make final installment payment to builder. My question is the following:

1. My builder asked me to make service tax payment + VAT as part of my final installment. Given the amendment to service tax applicable to residential apartments, am I still liable to pay service tax?
  2. If I am paying service tax, should I collect a separate receipt for service tax paid for my apartment? The builder says they will provide a final invoice which states all applicable taxes have been paid and the invoice will show the company's TIN number. The builder will not give any separate receipt for service tax. Is this invoice sufficient proof that I have paid my taxes?
  3. If service tax and VAT is applicable in the above case, please help me understand the formula for calculation formula for the same.

Thanks and best regards,

Satyajit

Learning

12 Replies

Vineet (Director)     30 June 2010

As per latest amendments, Service tax is payable on under construction apartments i.e. in respect of which payments are received by Developer prior to completion certificate.

Service tax @10.30 % is payable on 25% value of basic consideration plus full value charged on any additional amenities, localational advantage, floor rise etc.

However, it is still not clear whether service tax shall be payable on new transactions or transactions entered prior to the amendments also. So just wait for clarification.

As notified vide notification no 36/2010 dated 28-6-2010 (corrected by corrigendum dated 29-6-2010), no service tax shall be leviable on payment made till 30-6-2010. Hence Service tax @10.30% shall be payable only on 25% of payment made on or after 1-7-2010. Further no Service tax is payable on parking charges.

Satyajit Parekh (SRA)     30 June 2010

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your reply. Does this apply to VAT also? What is the rule for charging VAT?

My builder claims the following formula for VAT and Service Tax

VAT is @12.5% on 70% of taxable amount which is computed as (cost of flat + electricity board deposit + car parking + amenities)

Service tax is @ 10.3% on 33% of (above computed taxable amount + VAT)

The property is located in Bangalore if that makes any difference to the rates applicable.

Thanks for your advice in this regard.

Satyajit

As far as VAT is concerned, please check with any local consultant as the same is state subject and different states charge VAT on real estate differently.

For Service Tax: The Builder is incorrect in charging the same as the provision for charging ST on 33% of value was done away with in January 2009 and no ST was chargeable since then.

New provisions for ST are applicable wef 1-7-2010 only and ST will be charged @ 10.3% on 25% of amount received after 1-7-2010 only. Electricity Board deposit is not amenity, hence no service tax can be carged on the same. Parking has been specifically excluded from service tax.

As far as amentities are concerned, yes builder can charge ST on preferential location charges, Internal and External development charges received only after 1-7-2010. So if you have made payment till date, no service tax shall be payable.

shankar (self)     18 December 2011

1.How can i find if the Real Estate company is registered for taking VAT taxes from Buyers?
2. The receipts which they had issued me earlier didnt had VAT number on that. and on request to they dont Provide me the VAT

number, But asks me to pay VAT amount.
3.This VAT amount was NOT mentioned in my Sale Agreement ealier.
4. What is this ST(Service Tax ) and on what this is applied? I didnt had any construction Agreement done, i had only Sale

Agrrement, but still am i liable to pay VAT and ST?

Vineet (Director)     22 December 2011

Dear Mr Shankar

1. If the Real Estate Company is collecting VAT, it should issue VAT invoices mentioning their VAT numbaer. You can demand copy of their VAT registration. In most of the cases, levy of VAT has been challenged before High Courts and VAT is collected as abundant precaution. Please check whether your builder is depositing VAT with authorities or the court receiver. He cannot simply collect it and keet it to himself.

2. Please check for a clause in your sale agreement which authorises developer to recover any tax, cess, levy etc which may be imposed in future.

3. Service tax on construction of complex services is a new evil which has been introduced by 2010 Budget in respect of residential projects. Earlier the service tax department had clarified that no service element is involved in case of developer of projects. But now a deeming provision has been brought in and wef 1-7-2010, service tax @10% plus cess on 25% of agreement value has been levied on the developer in respect of under construction property which is to be recovered from customer depending upon terms of agreement. fo agreements prior to 1-7-2010, ST is leviable only on balance sum payable after 1-7-2010. So effectively one has to pay 2.575% ST on purchase agreement value.

Vinodh (Manager)     21 January 2012

Dear Mr.Vineet,

I have bought an apartment for 33lacs in chennai and I have made a payment of 28 lacs between 22/10/2009 and 18/06/2010 and the remaining amount after 01/07/2010. Please let me know whether the service tax will be calculated on 33 lacs or only on 5 lacs that I have paid after 01/07/2010.

Thanks in Advance

Vineet (Director)     21 January 2012

Mr Vino

Mr Vinod

The sevice tax @2.575% shall be levied on Rs 5 Lakhs paid on or after 1-7-2010.

By the way, The Bombay High Court on 20-1-2012 has dismissed writ petition filed by MCHI against levy of service tax on under construction flats. hence the levy is now a certainity unless reversed by Supreme Court which appears to be a distant possibility considering recent spate of judgements in revenue matters.

Vinodh (Manager)     21 January 2012

Mr. Vineet.

Thanks for your reply. However my Builders chartered accountant claim that this is a mis-conception. They are of the opinion that the service tax of 2.575% should be levied on the entire 33 lacs as the service tax is in vogue since 2005

Thanks in advance

Mr Vinod

The Service Tax on construction of complex services is in statute since 2005, but due to many disputes and representations, the CBEC clarified vide circular no 108/02/2009 ST dated 29-1-2009 that no service tax is leviable in case of residential complexes.

However, Finance Act, 2010 introduced service tax on under construction residential complexes also by amending the definition of such services. Hence, now law is settled that service tax @2.575% is leviable on umder construction residential complexes where sale has been effected prior to completion of construction. The ST is leviable only on payments made after 1-7-2010. CBEC has issued specific notification for this purpose to exempt all advance payments made prior to 1-7-2010 from service tax.

Please refer to Notification no 36/2010 dated 28-6-2010 as corrected by corrigendum dated 29-6-2010. This can be shown to builder to assert that for all payments made prior to 1-7-2010, CBEC has specifically exempted them from service tax. The notification is reproduced below:

[TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE OF INDIA, EXTRAORDINARY, PART II, SECTION 3, SUB-SECTION (i)]

Government of India
Ministry of Finance
(Department of Revenue)

New Delhi, the 28th June, 2010

Notification No. 36/2010 - Service Tax

G.S.R.    (E).- In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 93 of the Finance Act, 1994 (32 of 1994) (hereinafter referred to as the Finance Act), the Central Government, on being satisfied that it is necessary in the public interest so to do, hereby exempts the taxable services specified in clause (A) of section 76 of the Finance Act, 2010 (14 of 2010) other than services referred to in clause (zzc) and (zzzz) of sub-section (105) of section 65 of the Finance Act from so much of the service tax leviable thereon under section 66 of the Finance Act as is in excess of the service tax calculated on a value which is equivalent to the amount of advance payment received before the said appointed date.

Explanation.-  For the purpose of this notification,

(i)         appointed date” means the 1st day of July, 2010;

(ii)         advance payment” means consideration received for the said taxable services to be provided.

2.         This notification shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.

[F. No. 334/3/2010 -TRU]

(K.S.V.V.Prasad)

Under Secretary to the Government of India

[TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE GAZZETE OF INDIA, EXTRAORDINARY, PART II, SECTION 3, SUB-SECTION (i)]

Government of India

Ministry of Finance

Department of Revenue

CORRIGENDUM                              

New Delhi, the 29th June, 2010

G.S.R.   (E).- In the notification of the Government of India in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue), No. 36/2010- Service Tax, dated the 28th June, 2010 published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section (i) vide number G.S.R. 557 (E), dated the 28th June, 2010,

for  the words “in excess of ”,  read “equal to”.

[F. No. 334/3/2010-TRU]

(K.S.V.V.Prasad)

Under Secretary to the Government of India

sid chopra (proprietor)     26 January 2012

Thanks for the above posting. I bought a flat in January 2010 and paid 90% of the amount then. The remaining portion of payment includes parking charges, society maintenance etc. So how much will be liable for tax?

Also what about vat. I am more worried on that score since the builder keeps quoting that vat before 2010 April was 5% and after that 1%. Is that true? How can earlier tax be higher than the recent changes? Does not the recent date limiti set fro Service tax apply to Vat too?

Will be obliged please clarify.

Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register