LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Seeking legal advice for my sister

My sister got married about 6 months ago and marriage isn't going well. 

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : FZ
My sister got married about 6 months ago and marriage isn't going well. The reason being her in-laws (Mostly guy's mother, elder sister and younger sister) keep harassing my sister. Guy himself is alright but he doesn't intervene to stop his family from harassing my sister. Instead he keeps telling her to adjust. Some examples of harassment - 1) They give her too much work to do all day long and don't let her rest. 2) They keep taunting my parents and me in front of my sister and swear all the time. 3) They have placed too many restrictions on my sister and don't let her leave the house or let her even wear clothing of her choice. 4) They have told their son multiple times to send my sister back. This goes on day and night. 5) They even took her jewelry forcefully and don't let her wear it. 6) They even locked her in her room couple of times. These are just some of the examples. My sister lost about 15+ kg in 2 months and stays stressed all the time. Guy himself doesn't bother my sister - but he is too coward to stand up for my sister. He even told my sister with in 2 months of marriage that he can't take her responsibility for her and she should find a job to handle her own expenses (Seriously, gone are days when men used to be real men and take responsibility). The root cause of problem is guy's Mother and elder sister. Guy's elder sister is married but she has troubled marriage and doesn't live in her in-law's place. She wants his brother to take care of her and wants to end his marriage with my sister. We have brought our sister back from that hell hole  and even got her jewelry back. I am looking for legal advice to get my sister out of this trouble. I don't want to get into a long legal fight them that can go on for years. I would like to end this soon and teach them a lesson as well for ruining a girl's life like this and wasting our time and money. Any advice is appreciated.

laugh

Helping Hand ! (Advocate )     15 May 2018

Originally posted by : FZ
My sister got married about 6 months ago and marriage isn't going well. The reason being her in-laws (Mostly guy's mother, elder sister and younger sister) keep harassing my sister. Guy himself is alright but he doesn't intervene to stop his family from harassing my sister. Instead he keeps telling her to adjust. Some examples of harassment - 1) They give her too much work to do all day long and don't let her rest. 2) They keep taunting my parents and me in front of my sister and swear all the time. 3) They have placed too many restrictions on my sister and don't let her leave the house or let her even wear clothing of her choice. 4) They have told their son multiple times to send my sister back. This goes on day and night. 5) They even took her jewelry forcefully and don't let her wear it. 6) They even locked her in her room couple of times. These are just some of the examples. My sister lost about 15+ kg in 2 months and stays stressed all the time. Guy himself doesn't bother my sister - but he is too coward to stand up for my sister. He even told my sister with in 2 months of marriage that he can't take her responsibility for her and she should find a job to handle her own expenses (Seriously, gone are days when men used to be real men and take responsibility). The root cause of problem is guy's Mother and elder sister. Guy's elder sister is married but she has troubled marriage and doesn't live in her in-law's place. She wants his brother to take care of her and wants to end his marriage with my sister. We have brought our sister back from that hell hole  and even got her jewelry back. I am looking for legal advice to get my sister out of this trouble. I don't want to get into a long legal fight them that can go on for years. I would like to end this soon and teach them a lesson as well for ruining a girl's life like this and wasting our time and money. Any advice is appreciated.

As you have already brought your sister back and there are no valuables left in her husbands place, you can ask your sister to approach her husband seeking divorce from him.  If alone she is seeking divorce in court, that will take 1 decade or sometimes even 2 decades that the case will be over with uncertainty about outcome as to divorce will be granted or not.  Courts don’t give divorce easily if 1 party asks it.  Best option for your sister is to approach her husband and make him agree for mutual divorce.  If you ppl are hindus then under Section 13B.  if other caste you have to reply and let me know which caste you are from.

Personally I feel that your sister will be a problem for your entire family for a long long time.  Getting remarried after divorce is very major problem that you ppl will face.  First you should get your sister divorced legally, tying her off to someone without divorce will end you up in major criminal offcences.

I suggest you to train your sister so that she will adjust with her immediate family and thereby save everyone from future problems which will be unending and ask her to rejoin with her husband.  Just like your sisters husbands sister, your sisters life will become.  I am sure you do not want that.

Ultimately it is your life problem and you have to chose carefully, if you want to go ahead with divorce ask your sister to make her husband agree for mutual divorce.

Any other legal recourse suggested by any advocate or anyone else or your own mind than mine will end you in losing your life in courts.  Be careful.

There is nothing that you can teach your sisters husband or his parents.  In the process you already would have learnt few lessons yourselves.

Aks   29 May 2018

Dear Ramoji,

You seem like a caring brother. Its sad to hear about the bad treatment being given to your sister.   If her husband is spineless and coward..there is not much hope for her in that household. It is a common , sad story for women in Indian society.

I would like you to write down all the facts with as much proof as possible...take it to a good lawyer, pay his/her fee and ask what can be done legally to protect your sister. Prepare your sister to get ready to work and earn money so she can get strong enough to support herself financially. Don't lose hope and do everything  legally ..as a good brother to rescue your sister.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register