LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi kumar valluru   17 August 2017

Second wife rights

I have married a girl 9 years back, within a year i had got relation with other girl. Second girl got pregnant and gave birth to a baby girl in 2011. My wife gave birth to a baby boy in 2014. Second girl knows about the wife from the begining. But my wife came to about that girl after her delivery. Lots of issues and quarrels happend. Even though as on date i am staying with both of them in different places. I mean to say that i am in relation with both of them. Problem is that second girl wants some rights and respect in society. She doeznt wants any property or any shares. As becoz she is living with a baby girl in society, everybody in society looks them like keep. That too in a cheap manner. So is there any chances of getting legal entity to our relationship. We both came to know our mistakes what we have done. Due to my wrong decision our daughter is facing problems in the society and even my second wife facing lot of problems in the society by living lonely. Mistake is mine . I have spoiled their lives. Can our judicial system give them some rights where they can live boldy with respect. I hope you have understood my problem Pls suggest.

Learning

47 Replies

Raveena Kataria (Advocate )     17 August 2017

Hi! Please note, you can only legitimize your relationship with the second girl in question, that is, lawfully marry her, after the marriage with your first wife has been annulled/disolved, otherwise you'll be liable for bigamy as per IPC Section 494. You can do so by attaining a decree for divorce with the first wife.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 August 2017

Does your community/sect/sub sect ............................customs allow 2nd marriage during subsitence of 1st marriage?

If NO; the relationship with 2nd lady is illicit. 2nd wife has NO legal rights of inheritance, however children from  illegal/void/voidable marriage are legal heirs.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 August 2017

Off the record keep both ladies and thier children, emotionally and materially happy.

You shall be on blade's edge as you can be sued.

Since you erred you need to strike a balance...

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     17 August 2017

You can do anything. You have already committed bigamy and adultery. Second woman is mistress only till you get lawfull divorce from your lawful wife.

Radha Krishna   18 August 2017

What kind of man are you.  I am amazed people like you exist in this world and have daring to post such story and seek advice.

You have wronged as per law.  And you will go to jail  Forget rights of second wife.  you have to seek ideas how to get out of jail, before thinking anything else.

(Guest)

Not convincing!

If you say there is a "Problem is that second girl wants some rights and respect in society" on account of your own mistake and also you treat her as your second wife, I don't think there is any such problem, irrespective of the law treating your case as of bigamy, if you treat her as a second wife and also want to extend rights to her, what makes you not to extend rights and respect to that girl. It is all in your own hands. Why do you expect that judicial system should snatch rights for her from you and give to your second wife?

So far as your question is concerned, "I hope you have understood my problem," you could not convince me about that being a problem, as you were not expected to present your wife's problem against your own interest. What I believe that the same is merely a hypothetical problem, when you are the supporter for extending the 2nd wife with rights and respect.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : JIGYASU
Not convincing!

If you say there is a "Problem is that second girl wants some rights and respect in society" on account of your own mistake and also you treat her as your second wife, I don't think there is any such problem, irrespective of the law treating your case as of bigamy, if you treat her as a second wife and also want to extend rights to her, what makes you not to extend rights and respect to that girl. It is all in your own hands. Why do you expect that judicial system should snatch rights for her from you and give to your second wife?

So far as your question is concerned, "I hope you have understood my problem," you could not convince me about that being a problem, as you were not expected to present your wife's problem against your own interest. What I believe that the same is merely a hypothetical problem, when you are the supporter for extending the 2nd wife with rights and respect.

Very good nalaysis Mr. Jigyasu! I appreciate your understanding and opinion about the case!

(Guest)

Dhingra ji,

Thanks for your encouragement and appreciation.

GANDHI MOHAN BHARATI (Pensioner)     18 August 2017

I fully agree with Shri.Kumar Doab. At best you may give your second wife cash or jewllery. Property rights do not come to her; but children have the rights.

Ravi kumar valluru   18 August 2017

I have married in a temple , i know it is a void marriage Atleast Can she use my name as husband in any applications or documents.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 August 2017

You can dispose your self acquired/earned estate/property in your life time as per personal law that applies in your case e.g; Hindu...............in anyones favor, including a stranger...  even the 2nd lady with whom you have illicit relationship or her offsprings born from her womb by her relation with you...............

If you are Hindu; The 2nd lady (and wife also) does not have any forced share in your self acquired property/estate...........

Wife is not a Co-parcener in ancestral proeprty.

As already posted in the thread 2nd lady  is not your wife at all.........

Children have NO forced share in self acquired property of father.

The illegitimate child does not have any rights in ancestral  property of father.................However there are now judgments by courts of law that legal heirship and inheritance  of illegitimate child in ancestral property of bilogical father  can not be faulted with..........

You must have lied while marrying in temple that you do not have a living spouse.

What is your line of business/profession; say if service; then is it govt/private? 

Thanks for agreeing Mr.GANDHI MOHAN BHARATI

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register