LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nipuna   05 October 2015

Sbi bank money blocking

Hi , Can you help me to understand how to get my lien amount back which is blocked by the SBI bank.

this is my saving bank, My cusin transferd 14000rs few days back and i was checking my account today suddanly my account balence is 148rs and remaining 19000rs has been lien. What should i do with this. As they blocked amount with out any priore notice or anything what should i do with this. 

Can you please adwise on this

Learning

8 Replies

K.S.Srinivas (Advisor (HR))     05 October 2015

approach the Bank Authorities and find out the reasons.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     05 October 2015

I agree with Shri Srinivas. Go the bank and enquire why the amount is blocked. If you do not satisfied with the reasons, lodge a complaint with their head office with a copy to Banking Ombudsman.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     05 October 2015

Have you received any notice of lien on your savings bank account from Bank in writing ?

If not, first issue a cheque for Rs.2,000/- to any of your close friend or relative and ask them to present it to bank, and if it is returned, ask him to insist with a covering schedule showing the reason for such return of the cheque.

Then armed with it approach the Bank and ask reasons for noting the lien.

The Bank exercise their right of general lien on any account , if you are a borrower or if you have guaranteed to any third party only.  Even for that serving registerred notice is mandatory.

Then file applilcation seeking information under RTI Act, seeking specific reasons for returning of Ch.No....given to a third party, when the outstanding credit is approximately over Rs....

Armed with all documentary evidence, contact any Advocate and explore remedies, if the Bank is unreasonable.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     05 October 2015

Are U a defaulter for credit card or personal loan from the said bank? 
A bank has right of general lien on what ever it holds till its due are paid. ie it can retain the amount or any other asset that is deposited with them.till the dues are paid. 
It cannot right away appropriate the balance in your account or dispose of the asset with out observing certain legal formalities. But it has every right to refuse to pay it or part with it. 
However you are not out of trouble.They will upload the details of your default on NET in the web page of CIBIL. UNLESS ONE GETS A CLEAN REPORT FROM THE CIBIL NO BANK WILL ENTERTAIN YOU FOR ANY KIND OF CREDIT FACILITIES OR CREDIT CARD. 
This is,in addition to their right to recover the amount legally or otherwise.
Best option is: approach the bank. If you are in financial problems,appraise your condition to them and ask for sympathetic consideration. Some banks are known to give some concession in the amount payable.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 October 2015

The Bank has to supply the communique to you..................................a Notice.

Apparently the Bank has not supplied the communique to you.Bank is apparently deficient.

Submit your contentions in writing under proepr acknowledgment and obtain writeen reply including that no notice/communication has been supplied to you in writing.If BM is reluctant record (audio/visual) in presence of irrefutable witnesses.

If you are supported then your lawyer may opine that you can call even police and non communication by BM/Bank is place on record.

The funds in your all accounts is debt on bank.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     05 October 2015

For the Bank Notice to be received by the Customer, it is the responsibility of the Customer to provide the Bank change of address if any immediately after such change of address. In the instant case, Bank might have issued a notice but would have gone to the address agailable with them. Instead of trying to beat around the bush and try to be confrontational, better go to the Bank and obtain the details. In case the reason given by the Bank in notiing lien is not satisfactory, you can file a complaint to the Bank Head Office and go to Banking Ombudsman also to resolve the issue.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     05 October 2015

Lien on the account is put by the bank only after all the formalities are over and the defaulter not responding.Here the author is not comming with true facts.If there are no dues from the account holder,what is the intention of the bank to do so.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 October 2015

The contents posted by you are not sufficient to render you proper opinion to the issue.  The bank is a responsible authority and it shall follow the rules and procedures properly hence it is pertinent that you disclose the facts if you are really interested in getting proper opinion/suggestions to proceed in this issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register