Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vinay S   20 July 2018

Sale Cum gpa with possession - vendor and claimaint expired

Hi ,

Please assist with below query :

My father had given sale cum GPA with possession to A & B.  Of total land , A & B sold way few of the plots to others.

Recently , my father and B are expired.  Now person A is asking us to sign the supplement agreement that states that legal heirs of person B are eligible to sell the remaining plots.

Please advise :

1) is this GPA still valid  as this sale cum GPA and my father already got all the money mentioned ? Who has the rights on the remaining plots now ?

2) Any problem to us if we go and sign the supplement agreement ?

3) Though its mentioned , my father used to say - they gave only half of the money and we gave up following up multiple times. Given this , can we ask the money that we should get ?

4) If we don't sign now - can A take any actions on us like filing complaint etc..

Learning

4 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     20 July 2018

1. It seems that even though your father sold and got the full consideration, he did not execute the Registered Sale Deed in favour of the purchaser.

2. It is not clear whether your father accounted the sale proceeds and paid any Capital Gains Tax on the same.

3. Instead, your father has simply given a sale-cum-GPA in favour of A & B.  This way, your father allowed A&B from avoiding the payment of Stamp Duty on the purchase of the plot from your father.

4. With the help of the GPA given by your father, A&B are selling the plots and getting the sale price.  As they are operating on the basis of the GPA, it means that they are selling the plot on behalf of your father.  That means your father is receiving the money.  Your father is liable for any income-tax / capital gain tax payable there on.

5. If you give any further consent, as is being asked by A or B's legal heirs, you will become liable.

6. As it is not simple, but involves tax angle also, you are advised to consult a lawyer well versed in property law + tax law, show the documents, discuss the matter and then take steps.

Vinay S   20 July 2018

Dear sir Thanks for the reply. But my father was not involved once he has given gpa. He got money they discussed and moved on. All further actions are done by A and B. I understood as its sale cum gpa , vendor will not gain anything from A and B as they both have rights to further sell plots to third party.

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     20 July 2018

But they will be selling it as GPAs of your father.  Therefore according to the Sale Deed that will be executed by them, your father will be the real seller (they are only his agents).

Vinay S   20 July 2018

Understood sir. My parents has no idea of this gpa... To them, they sold the property for some amount. And the only reason they wanted gpa to avoid stamp duty ? So as per law , GPA is not valid now and we can claim on remining plots.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register