LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dipak Rathitara   23 January 2018

Safe deposit locker

I, together with my wife, hired locker in a Bank with mode of opration as "Either or Surviver" . About 8 years back she left while I was awaya together with valuables & key of the locker. She failed to find time for opening locker for unknown reasons, I belive. Our marriage was a late marriage & it was fixed on line. My attempt to locate her at the place of marriage was in vain. That was a temporary address. I informed bank in person, in writing on record. Subsequently I approached Court of Law & Judge was satisfied to grant me a decree of Divorce Exparte. I informed the Bank through my lawyer & requested the bank to allow me access to my locker but in vain.

I would be greatful If I am advised regarding my actions at this stage to get access to my locker?

Learning

7 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     23 January 2018

Apply for delicate key of the bank locker on payment, the bank can get duplicate key for you and you can open to check it.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2018

The bank has laid policy on opening of locker.

It might be on website also.

It is in bank..

Act in accordance with the policy and bnk shall act according to policy and reply to you.. 

Dipak Rathitara   23 January 2018

Bank wants me to bring my divorced wife before they would do anything & if I could do that then the problem would not figure here.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 January 2018

That is why it was pointed out that you may go thru the policy of bank that are framed in accordance with RBI guidelines....

BM might have taken legal opinion from legal cell.

Dipak Rathitara   25 January 2018

That is not a solution to my problem.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 January 2018

You have informed the Bank on record and also court on record that spouse ( Ex) that is also hirr of locked with you, is not traceable.

If the locker is not operated, and also if hirer is reported as not traceable, then bank has to act in accordance with guiding policy.

Write to bank under proper acknowledgment on action taken and decision.

Bank is avoiding placing anything on record to you so as to avoid any litigation and pinch you to approach court and come back with a decree.

Dipak Rathitara   27 January 2018

Should the Bank maintain silence even after I write to them on the fact, can I approach Court of Law for a Decree ? Anything else, you feel, is necessary for me to do?

I am greatful to you for your advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register