LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pranay (Other)     01 February 2015

Restriction of conjugal rights

I write on behalf of my sister, aged 27 years old, who got married about six months ago. Her husband and her in-laws were abusive and harassed her asking her to bring money(dowry) and other objects. Unable to bear this, she returned to our home and is afraid if she will return, they will harm her. Three days ago, she received a notice from a lawyer on their behalf asking her to respond why she isn't coming back and that if she doesn't respond, they will initiate a case against her for "restricting her husband's conjugal rights". Also, although the letter arrived in registered post and bears the lawyer's name, designation, address, and phone number on the upper left corner at the beginning of the letter, it does not bear any signature or stamp. I'd be grateful if you could please tell me if the letter is valid. If it is invalid, should my sister bother to reply, and in case it is valid, what should my sister do? She is five months pregnant now and is under much stress because of these problems. Although we have been consulting a lawyer regarding this issue, we are unable to obtain a clear picture from him as his responses are quite ambiguous when we go up to him with a question. Your advice and guidance would help us gain clarity and will be of great help to us.

Learning

2 Replies

fighting back (exec)     01 February 2015

it is a lawyers pvt notice and not a court summon, you can choose to ignore, or reply back to the said notice.

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     01 February 2015

Dear, Legal notice is valid.... But what do you guys want for your sister .... See the husband can file the restitution petition and your defence for the same could be that they are abusive and inhuman . . But at the end of the day you have to think constructively for you sister future settlement .... Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More