LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sam   04 January 2017

Rent agreement help required

I have a query of mine. My wife and I used to live in a rental place within the same colony as that of my and her parents house. We got this rental unit via my in laws reference only. However, I do not have any rent agreement till date. Even after 4 months of separation (due to wife's paranoid schizophrenia), I was paying rent till November month and requested landlord to give me rent agreement copy. I did not get any proper response, so I stopped paying rent for last month and this month. Agreement was never signed by me in person, so must be between my in law and landord or some known person. 

I have paid 2-3 months of electricity BSES bills via my salary account / online. I do have whatsapp conversation and call recording regarding the same. For November month, instead of online / cheque payment, he told me to pay rent in old currency, so it might be a problem for me?

What should I do in this case? I wanted agreement from future perspective. Will it have any impact on my case if any in future?

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

You should send a notice to the landlord to get he rend agreement signed between you and him and also state that you will pay the rent ( pending too) once the agreement is signed. 

Basically you are obliged to pay the rent as you are the tenant. If the landlord does not reply to the notice or refuses to execute the agreement then you may look for another place and pay rent for the time period you stayed there. Try to keep all the communication in written. 

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Sam
I have a query of mine. My wife and I used to live in a rental place within the same colony as that of my and her parents house. We got this rental unit via my in laws reference only. However, I do not have any rent agreement till date. Even after 4 months of separation (due to wife's paranoid schizophrenia), I was paying rent till November month and requested landlord to give me rent agreement copy. I did not get any proper response, so I stopped paying rent for last month and this month. Agreement was never signed by me in person, so must be between my in law and landord or some known person. 

I have paid 2-3 months of electricity BSES bills via my salary account / online. I do have whatsapp conversation and call recording regarding the same. For November month, instead of online / cheque payment, he told me to pay rent in old currency, so it might be a problem for me?

What should I do in this case? I wanted agreement from future perspective. Will it have any impact on my case if any in future?

It all depends on tenant and landlord understanding, people live for decades withoout rent agreement.  But its always good to have something in writing.  Next time give cheque for rent.  Insist on him giving rent agreement.

Mukesh sharma (job )     05 January 2017

Hi sam plz ask your landlord for prepare rental agreement with you and send him notice according same for written agreement and pay your rentle according your rental agreement 

its good for you and and .....  

you got lot of benifit with your rentle agreement so written this 

thanks 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register