Refund of money for website designing

Dear Sir/madam,

I had given development of a travel portal to a website designing company, sep last year.They had told me that they will complete it within one month.Total cost of website designing was Rs 70000. I have already paid them Rs 40000 in advance, but they have still not completed it. Due to this I am suffering a lot financially as it was a online travel portal.They have taken 6 extra month as promised by them. When i told them to return the amount, they are denying it.So kindly suggest me what legal steps i can take against them so that i can teach  these kind of company a good lesson and also recover the loss incurred due to this.

one more thing which i like to mention here is that the whole communication and transaction was done online or by mail and telephonically.



Since the purpose of website was commercial gain, I do not think the Consumer Protection Act would hold here, which would have been speedier but still takes a lot of time and patience.


Civil suit  for non performance of contract seems to be an option. Expect it to take longer. Do you have a properly drafted agreement and what does it say about the situation you are facing ? Take advise of a competent and committed lawyer with full details.


While the " law abiding people " look at legal options, fact is that the legal system - whatsoever it is in India - seems to protract legislation as the means to its own survival.  Buyer Beware is a wise adage in all situations.





Mr.Hardeep has covered the issue in very nice and opt manner. I would like endorse his views.


Agreed with the views of Mr. Hardeep.   You may consult a local lawyer, show the agreement details to him and take his advise to proceed before the consumer forum or civil court for releif.


Least you should do is serve them legal notice. At times things settle at that stage itself.

When you hired the web desiging company, did you made a complete contract in written form with all terms and conditions? If yes, then you can can legal action against them.

If  you paid via Paypal or a credit card and can file a dispute to recover your money. Email the designer one last time and say “If I don’t hear from you by date, I will be filing a dispute with Paypal.” Once that date passes, don’t hesitate, get your money back and move on.


Thanks a lot to all for your precious advice.



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu