Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ram (self)     19 July 2013

Question regarding father name change

Hello

My biological father passed away an year after i was born and my mother remarried 7 years later. My step-father did not legally adopt me but his name was entered in all my school certificates and every doument that there is (SSC, 12th, Degree, Pan Card, etc etc. ). After years of issues and fights, my mom and my step dad are legally seperated. 

My birth certificate has the name of my biological father and i want to correct things and get my step-fathers name removed from all my certificates as he did not legally adpot me. also my legal guardian is my mother.  I Also want to change My surname to reflect the surname of my Biological Father.  I am very much confused as it is a big process and i want to know the steps to get this done. Is it possible? Is it not possible? Please answer my query.  Many Many thanks

Ram.

Learning

2 Replies

PARUL (Lawyer)     19 July 2013

Yes it is possible. Take a decree from civil court. For that, you must file a "Miscalleneous Civil Application" in a city Civil court. You will be the applicant & Opponent will be the Government of India. After the procedure, your mother will give an Affidavit regarding your biological father & step father. Then the court will decree it after the procedure. Then you can legally use the name. Other option maybe through a Gazatte.

Have a Heart Foundation (Sales & Mktng)     19 July 2013

Sorry to hear about it.. although your's is a different situation as your biological father had passed away.

Children from broken homes often face these problem when parents divorce and / or mother remarries and name of the child is changed... there is Identity Crises.. the identity of the child is lost..

There are procedures for name change..

you can file for name change through Govt Gazette.. you will have to give a declaration on affidavit.. and also give advt in the local news paper mentioning your new name has now been changed from (old name)_____ to (new name)________ 

If you want to change your name, you need to send a request letter to your State Government for Publication of Name Change Notice in Official Gazette. Here is the sample letter to help you to do so.

To

The Under Secretary to Govt.
Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce)
_________________, ______________ (State)

Sub (Publication of Notice in Extraordinary ___________ (State Name) Gazette for Change of Name)

Sir,

With due respect I want to State before you that I have changed my name _________________ (old name) to _________________  (new name) by virtue of an affidavit made before the Notary Public, _____________ (Place) on _____________ (date), which have also been published in the daily _____________________ (Newspaper Name).

Now I want to publish the Notice in Extraordinary issue of ____________ (state) Gazette and therefore I request you to issue necessary orders for the publication of the same in E.O.G and obliged.

Required documents are attached herewith for ready reference:

1. Original Newspaper

2. 2 attached Xerox copies of Affidavit regarding change of name

3. 2 copies of DTP of Notice

4. 2 deed changing Surname Forms

You’re faithfully,

Name
Address

(Form and Guidelines for the same are attached herewith for your kind perusal. You can also take the help of an advocate.) 

Attached File : 111247670 forms[10].pdf downloaded: 131 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register