Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter


Search for Lawyers          

Please Wait ..

Discussion > Family Law > Maintenance > Punishment for Adultery   Unanswered Threads Post New Topic

Pages : 1 2

There are 16 Replies to this message


[ Scorecard : 40]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 15:30 Report Abuse

Hi, what is the punishment for adultary. If a man's adultery is provable. If the man proves, he is seperate for 5.5 years from his wife and divorce proceeding in progress.

1. Under what sections the wife can file case against him in police station.

2. If the mans adultery is provable, what panisment the court will provide after his 5.5 years of seperation. 

Please reply. Kind thanks Siva.

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 

adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

practicing advocate
[ Scorecard : 36371]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 15:56 Report Abuse

Till the court decree if man commited any adultery he can be punished for term which may extend to two years, or with fine or with both.

adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

practicing advocate
[ Scorecard : 36371]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 15:57 Report Abuse

After the decree please add " for divorce"

Dharmesh Manjeshwar

[ Scorecard : 830]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 17:04 Report Abuse


Section 497 of the IPC.

Adultery.--Whoever has s*xual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such s*xual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall not be punishable as an abettor.


Solicitor / Legal Consultant
[ Scorecard : 22029]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 17:34 Report Abuse

Dharmesh is right. upto five years imprisonment punishment 

Arvind Singh Chauhan

[ Scorecard : 12867]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 17:44 Report Abuse

I think he can be punished only on the complaint of the victim and the victim here is, the husband, with whose wife accused is engaged.


[ Scorecard : 40]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 17:51 Report Abuse

I think the issue is diverted. The man is having adultary with another girl and not with other man wife.

The man's wife proves his husband adultary with another girl. Is till the IPC 497 applies to it?.

manjit kalra

system eng
[ Scorecard : 337]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 18:38 Report Abuse

three conditions arise out of above scenario

1.if man has s*x with an unmarried woman : no punishment , only he gets reward.

2.if this man has s*x with a married woman and wife of man objects: still no punishment, only he gets reward

3.if this man has s*x with a married woman and her husband objects and proves it beyond doubt: man gets punishment for adultery

in nutshell only husband of a married woman can get a man(whether married or unmarried) punished under ipc.

wife has no such right if her husband commits adultry.


Syed Adbul Khader Jeelani

Advocate 9642388507
[ Scorecard : 65]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 18:51 Report Abuse

At best this will aggrevate the divorce petition of wife.

Member (Account Deleted)

[ Scorecard : 5925]
Posted On 01 December 2010 at 23:11 Report Abuse

correctly replied

Related Files

Previous Thread
Next Thread

Related Threads

Post your reply for Punishment for Adultery

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login

Not a member yet ?? Click here to signup



  • This is a public forum. Avoid posting content which you do not wish to disclose in public.
  • Use thank button to convey your appreciation.
  • Maintain professionalism while posting and replying to topics.
  • Try to add value with your each post.

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Forum Home | Forum Portal | Control Center | Who is Where | Popular Threads | Today's Topic | Recent Posts | Today's Posts | Post New Topic | Thread With Files | Top Threads - Month | Unreplied Topics | Forum Stats

web analytics