Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saraswathi   16 August 2017

Property with no will any multiple heirs.

My father passed away last year. The sale deed of the house is on his name. There is no will.

We are 3 children, one son and two daughters. Mother is living.  

Does any one among us (mother and children) become owners automatically? 

If yes then who is among  us?

If not then What are our rights individually? 

We don't have any plans in near future to sell off the house. In that case how do we transfer ownership?

Can there be more than one owner?  Will there be any legal complications if  there are multiple owners?

Can it remain like that with 4 owners? If so how long?

Since house is in the state of Telangana what is the procedure regarding transfer of ownership in the state of Telangana?

Thank you.

Learning

4 Replies

Saraswathi   16 August 2017

The title reads "any multiple heirs" ,  It's a typo error. It should be read "and multiple heirs ".

Also, I want to add we are Hindu family and all children of the deceased who is our father, all children are married.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     17 August 2017

inthe absence of your paternal grand mother you all have equal share in that house as your father died intestate.Mother wife, son and daughter are class 1 legal heirs.  Assuming that your paternal grandmother died you r mother and you  3 children would get equal rights of ownership of propert or  get the house disposed of and divide the sale proceeds equally and or get 1/4 th share each in sale proceeds.

Saraswathi   17 August 2017

Thank you for the reply. But some of my questions still remain unanswered.

Kindly read my original post and share your knowledge.

Thank you!! 

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 August 2017

Yes, the property is jointly vested in the legal heirs ie. the wife, children and the mother (if alive). That is the complete answer. 

Your posting suggests that there are deeper issues. Please post them.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register