Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saleem Khan (Operations Manager)     10 February 2014

Procedure to register marriage

Hi,

I'm a Muslim male married to a Christian lady. We got married around 6 years ago in a normal Christian ceremony, which included the wedding in the Church followed by a reception. We signed a register in the Church (along with the witnesses) and we were also given a marriage certificate by the Church. This is a big and renowned Church in Hyderabad hence we did not register our marriage in any other way. Now that we have to apply for renewal of passport and want to include our spouse names, is it possible to use the marriage certificate issued by the Church where we got married, as a supporting document to show our relationship as Husband and wife? We also have aadhar cards where we have our spouse names mentioned on both our cards.

To clarify, my spouse still retains her maiden name in all our accounts/offices/dealings, etc. and I don't want her to change her surname or anything like that.

Please let me know if the passport office will accept the marriage certificate issued by the Church or will I have to get it registered in any other way?

Learning

7 Replies

Chellapandian (Legal Consultant)     11 February 2014

Dear Mr.Saleem, Your marriage needs to be registered under special marriages act . You can avail the required applications from the Registrar office which has jurisdiction over the location where your marriage took place. In your case the certificate issued by the church can be a supporting document for registration. Also could you please let me know the date of marriage ? Thanks, Chellapandian.K Advocate . High Court ,Chennai.

Saleem Khan (Operations Manager)     11 February 2014

Thanks for the reply Mr. Chellapandian. The wedding took place on 26-10-2007.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Chellapandian. The wedding took place on 26-10-2007.

Dear Mr.Saleem,

Good, You can still register your marriage under Special Marriages Act . 

Please contact the Registrar office as i mentioned above. 

You may be asked furnish details

1) Proof of marriage (invitation,certificated issued by church,photographs  etc)

2) Witnesses (2 nos)

3) Address proof (Ration card or Passport etc)

4)Identity proof (Driving license or PAN or voter Id etc)

5)DOB proof (birth certificate (or) 10th or 12th Mark certificate)

6) Education qualification proofs)

As a procedure they will validate the above details and will issue notice (which will put to display for objections if any) for a period 30 days.

At the end 30 days you will be issued certificate of registration if no objection is received.

one more question

1) Do you and your wife belong to same place? (birth,address of communication  etc).

2) if yes does the marriage happened at the same place?

Thanks,

Chellapandian.K

Thanks for clarifying sir! Yes, we both are natives of Hyderabad and the wedding was also performed in a Church in Secunderabad.

Just curious, why you asked the wedding date. Also, now that the wedding already took place, what will happen in case someone raises objections once the notification is putup? How will that matter? I also heard that instead of a certificate an affidavit will also help? Will an affidavit be quicker than registering marriage?

I asked the date to verify whether marriage happened in last 30 days.

Usually within 30 days of marriage one has to register it.

It is good that both are from same place we can avoid procedural delays in getting marriage certificate.

Also usually they put the notice in noticeboard of the Registrar office and in particular cases they may ask to do some paper publications (Not applicable for your case).

It is almost 7 years now, so do you still expect any objections?

Nothing to worry. You can initiate the procedure through registrar office instead of affidavit.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     12 February 2014

the marriage to be registered under special marriage act.  You do not have to undergo the pre-marriage formalities now.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register