Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anoop   12 June 2018

Ownership dispute for rented property

Dear All,

A new member from Cochin here.

I had rented out a flat in April, 2018. I shifted to the same by the 15th of April, 2018.

Last month (23rd May, 2018) i was contacted by a person who claims that the said property has an ownership dispute going on and that the said party has won the case related to the property and that they will be starting legal proceedings to take possession / ownership of the property soon.

On contacting the owner (from whom i have rented the property) he clarified that the ownership dispute was between the previous owner of the said flat and his business partner. As per all legal documents (title deed, electricity bill, tax receipt) my current owner is mentioned and i have verified the same.

On digging deeper with neighbors in the same building i found out that the first owner had incurred losses in his business and had sold out this flat to cover the losses. This flat was then bought by my current owner.

The first owner's business partner then subsequently filed a case against the first owner claiming that the transaction was done to prevent his business partners from recovering his losses and that the current owner is a benami owner.

1. Incase the business partner wins the case do i as a tenant have any rights?

2. Will he be able to evict me from the flat without any prior warning?

3. Is he legally required to let me know that he has won the case?

4. As I am living with my family, what can I do the ensure that I am not caught up in all this.

P.S. The current owner maintains that he has all legal rights to the property and that it has been bought by him by paying full amount to the first owner so even if the business partner wins the case it will be using falsified documents.

Regards,

Learning

1 Replies

Anoop   18 June 2018

Can anyone guide me on how to proceed with this?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register