Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suresh Palani (business)     04 October 2016

Owner forcefully evicting tenant

Hi,

I am running a shop in a rented building for the past 10 years without any agreements signed paying rent by cheque. Now I have learnt from others and few brokers that owner is trying to sell the building. I asked him about the same so that I can buy my portion a couple of times but he is not showing any interest. Can he file any case on me to evict forcefully. How can I safe guard my shop in this situation as it is my only source of income

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)
U strike a deal with new owner. Once sold, evacuation will be responsibilities of new owner. But if old owner agreed to.get u evacuated, he can.

KS Johal   05 October 2016

i agree with Gyan Prakash. Yes you can strike a deal with the new owner.

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     05 October 2016

Now the law has changed with respect to commercial property. Until now  rwesidential premises only llllllllandlord has right to evict tenants for bonfide  and other purposes. Now th e 50 years  law with respect to ommercial property where  lndlord cannot evict tenant  has unsdergone a sea change since 2008 as per the law laiddown the Supreme /court. You as  a tenanrt have to make allternate arrangemnt to search other  rented prmises to keep your shop. If you appreciate this answer please click the thank you button on this forum.I'm attaching  a discussion on the Supreme court decision  which states that landlord can evict  tenants from  commercial  premises.If you appreciate this answer please click the thank you button on this  forum.Attachment provision is not there. I'm typing the suprme court decision hereitself.

The Times of IndiaCity
News Home » City » Delhi

Landlords can evict shop tenants: SC

Dhananjay Mahapatra | TNN | Apr 18, 2008, 03.21 AM IST

NEW DELHI: For 50 years, tenants in shops and commercial premises in many prime areas of Delhi have had the upper hand over landlords. They lived without fear of eviction and paid a paltry rent as they were protected by laws that froze the amount negotiated decades ago.

This special protection was because the law said that a tenant could be asked to vacate only residential
premises, and not commercial property even if the premises were required for personal use. But all this has changed.

The Supreme Court has given a judgment that would help landlords evict tenants in prime commercial zones like Connaught Place, Karol Bagh, South Extension and Walled City who, in most cases, have been paying a few hundred rupees as rent for decades.

The rent law - Delhi Rent Control Act, 1958 - was a handicap for the landlord as he could seek eviction of the tenant only from residential premises, that too provided he proved this was required for his personal need.

The attempts to evict the tenants from the shops had been frustrated for nearly 30 years as the rent law did not permit recovery of the premises let out for shops even on the ground of bonafide personal need.

The court said the restriction on eviction of tenants from commercial premises was inserted in the law 50 years ago mainly because of the limited commercial space available in the city at that time. But that was a long time back.

Now the scenario has undergone a sea change and a fairly large number of buildings and premises were now available on rent for non-residential and commercial purposes. Restricting landlords from seeking eviction of tenants from shops was no longer justified, the Bench said.

The 1995 Delhi Rent Control Act, which had a similar provision in favour of landlords, could not be notified despite receiving presidential assent as the government was pressured by the powerful traders lobby.

Section 14(1)(e) of the 1958 Act allowed a landlord to make an application for recovery of possession of a residential premises on the ground that "the premises let out for residential purposes are required by the landlord for occupation as a residence for himself or any other member of his family dependant on him... and that the landlord has no other reasonably suitable residential accommodation".

The new law would now read: "That the premises are required bonafide by the landlord for himself or for any member of his family dependant on him... and that the landlord has no other reasonably suitable accommodation".

Crucially, the apex court has deleted the word 'residential'. This makes the tenant eviction process apply with same rigour to rented premises - both residential and commercial.

Though the court removed the word 'residential' from Section 14(1)(e) of the Delhi Rent Control Act, it tried to strike a balance by laying down that recovery of rented premises still needed the landlord to prove that he needed it for his use and lacked alternate suitable accommodation.

Reversing a full Bench judgment of the Delhi High Court which had refused to alter the law in favour of the landlords on the ground that it had been in force for more than 45 years, the apex court said the HC failed to see that the provision in the 1958 Act has outlived its utility.

Writing the 64-page judgment for the Bench, Justice Singhvi said the high court failed to notice the differential treatment in law for residential and commercial premises, even though the rationale for it had long ceased to exist.

Removing this anomaly and striking down the differential approach in law, a Supreme Court bench comprising Justices B N Agrawal and G S Singhvi said landlords could now seek eviction of tenants from residential as well as commercial premises on the ground of proven personal need.

Through the judgment, the court came to the rescue of the family of a landlady who wanted to demolish the premises, part of which was let out for shops. She wanted to build a new structure to accommodate a family growing in size over the years.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     05 October 2016

Sir, If you are in Maharashtra you need not worry, you are fully protected by Maharashtra Rent Control Act 1999, either of the Land Lords can not make you vacate. Good luck, Kishor Mehta

Kumar   16 September 2018

Just die you parasite @Suresh Palani.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register