Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit   27 August 2015

On what basis A Husband can file Divorce?

Dear Forum Members,

I am from Delhi and was married in 2008 and father of a 5 years old girl. Me and My wife filed MCD in the month of January, 15 at our local district court and second Motion date was due in July, 15. My wife has already applied for transfer to her home town in Dec, 15 and got transferred in May, 15. The child is with my wife since Jan, 15.

My wife didn't come for second motion due in July, 15. Court gave the next date in Sept, 15. After second motion date I travelled to meet my wife and asked for the reason for not appearing for 2nd Motion, she asked for child maintenance and demanded for a draft of Rs 25L and told that she would like to take the child custody as well. This amount is fine with me and I asked her to submit the same amount for child future or give me the child custody then she refused both the proposals.

When I came back home, she called me and told that she don’t want to take the child custody and would like to withdraw the case as well and don’t want to live with me as well throughout her life. She also got admission in some Australian University for PHD.

Now request expert advices on the below point:

1. On what basis (Rule/Clause/Section) a husband can apply for a fresh divorce as this is completely a non-tolerable phase where wife never want to live together.
  2. I would like to take the child custody and her admission is continued in a very renowned school at my place as I am submitting tuition fee till date to continue her admission. Further I live in a joint family and my wife lives with her living alone working mother as my father-in-law is in job in some other state.
  3. My wife is more qualified and earning more than me, and then also I am only responsible for submitting a big amount for child maintenance? In my view both husband and wife have to take the equal ownership in submitting money for child custody.
  4. In case of divorce, irrespective of child custody with me or with her I have to submit 25L on the name of child. Is this true. 

Learning

5 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     27 August 2015

Sir,

I feel her behaviour somehow falls within the four corners of cruelty (because she is backing of from the agreement that must have been entered between you when you guys must have settled the things and moved for the first motion) and she is just trying to take the undue advantage of your co-operation.

Yes the education and bringing up of the child would be a contribution from both the parties and if she keeps the custody of the child then she will be more responsible for the upbrining of the child and yes you can pay through a demand draft which will be matured as and when the child attains the age of 18 years (which the trend these days being adopted by the courts genrally so that the money paid for the welfare and marraige expenses especially in case of a girl child may not be misused for some other purposes unless she attains the age of 18 years).

I feel if she is doing well finacially, then court will not insist you to pay 25 lacs unless you yourself commit before the court of law to bound yourself with this amount.

I hope you guys must have mentioned some amount as full and final when the first motion was made and an agreement to that affect was made between you and your wife, so better stick to that amount only.

Try appraoch her again and again and keep a record of her as to why is taking a different stand at this stage without any rhyme and reason.

Warm Regards

Kapil Chandna Advocate

SuperHero (Manager)     27 August 2015

@Amit - 

Kapil Sir gave good advice.

By the time you came back home, she would got an admission letter from Australia and She is preparing to leave to Australia ASAP. She doesn't want the child too.

Sep 15. Ask her to attend the Court and let the Second motion complete. Get your divorce.

Please don't commit you will pay 25L. Use it for your Child's welfare.

Again if you file new divorce it will take your time roaming around courts.

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     27 August 2015

1. When the MCD is not dispossed off where does the concept of fresh divorce arise?

2.U said 25L for child is no problem,why deviate from it?

3.Contrasting behaviour of UR wife should not be taken lightly,may be some thing is in store.

4. There are many avenues to spoil the brain of the wife,in dragging the matrimonial home to the courts.

Amit   28 August 2015

Thanks Mr. Kapil and other experts, during the first motion there was no settlement amount and all the jewellery given by me and my parents was is under her custody only and the same is mentioned in the MoU. Regarding Child she only requested to take custody till second motion because of social reasons and later on she will hand over the custody to me as told verbally by her. In the MOU of our first motion only two lines are mentioned that “I can take my daughter for 10 days after every six months with 24 hrs prior intimation via sms”. All the matter of Rs 25L and child custody is raised as a response of absence on first motion. Even then I am fine with this condition also. But now also she don't want to give Divorce.

Because of 25L I have to sell my house, Request every one on the forum for guidance.

SuperHero (Manager)     28 August 2015

@Amit - Don't give divorce. Tell in the court that I don't want to give divorce. Let her come for divorce and then she should agree with your terms and conditions if she wants divorce.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register