LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pun (eng)     24 May 2013

Notice under 160 cr.p.c

Hello Members, As per the definition of section 160 of Cr.P.C 160. Police officer' s power to require attendance of witnesses. (1) Any police officer, making an investigation under this Chapter may, by order in writing, require the attendance before himself of any person being within the limits of his own or any adjoining station who, from the information given or otherwise, appears to be acquainted with the facts and circumstances of the case; and such person shall attend as so required: Provided that no male person under the age of fifteen years or woman shall be required to attend at any place other than the place in which such male person or woman resides. Can the police issue the notice to women accussed in 498A case where the chargesheet is already filed and the accused is residing in other state. and as per this section this is for issuing notice to witnesses not the accused. further as per my knowledge this section is giving exemption to women to attend the police station who is not residing in jurisdiction of that police station where the case is registered. Thanks

Learning

7 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     24 May 2013

the High Court, by an impugned order has given a direction to the State Government to issue circulars to all the police stations instructing the police officials that the woman accused/witness should not be summoned or required to attend at any police stationunder Section 160 Cr.P.C. but they must be enquired only by women police or in the presence of a women police, at the places where they reside. The High Court has issued a further direction to the Government to ensure that this instruction is strictly followed by the police in future.

pun (eng)     24 May 2013

@ Rama Cherry Cell

Thanks for your reply. Can you please share any document/judgement where this direction is given by high court. Does this direction applies to that particular state only or all states in India.

I have asked one question in my query that if the notice issue u/s 160 CR.P.C is only for witnesses or against the accused also the notice can be issued in this section?

Thanks

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     25 May 2013

Dear Pun,

IO has send the notice to accused to join the investigation, not as witness. It is the duty of accused to join investigation. The section imposed is non-bailable. It's better get Anticipatory Bail as you have sufficient reason to believe, you have got notice from IO. approach session court fo bail.

Rajiv Bhasin 

Advocate

Bhasin & Associates

bhasin.laws@yahoo.com

pun (eng)     25 May 2013

Rajiv sir,

In my 498A case the chargesheet is already filed and mother is on regular bail. police is sending the notice just to harass and to make compromise on other side conditions. Wife side is giving directions to police and police is doing every wrong thing they can do.

Mr. Rama Chary cell has mentioned above that in case of notice u/s 160 Cr.P.C any women accused / witness should be enquired at the place where they resides. In my case my  mother is in other state then Pls suggest what to do in this situation and if the police is just issuing the notice just for the harrasment, is my mother oblized to come at my police to attend the police station?

Thanks

Never Give Up (Fighter)     25 May 2013

Once chargesheet is filed in 498A , Police role is over. Then IO will come only during trial of the case.

Get strong lawyer's advise and represent this fact in the court about the harassment by police.

sahara (executive)     12 May 2014

My case is similiar to that of  "pun". My Father & Mother have been directed to appear before I.O. in C.A.W. cell of another state. Parents Anticipatory bail was rejected earlier. Plz suggest what to be done now?

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     28 May 2014

Dear,

There is likelihood that your parents be arrested on the pretext of Investigation. Even earlier your parents anticipatory bail had been rejected / dismissed, you should have approached the High Court. Now there is no escape route. Either to appear before IO or approach High Court. 

Rajiv Bhasin 

Advocate

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register