LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj P   28 June 2017

No tenancy agreement

Hello, I am staying in chawl - room purchased by my father around 1980 under Pagdi system. Now I am not able to find the tenancy document. Now from past few years landlord has stopped accepting rent and giving us the rent receipt. Would this create a problem for us in near future.

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)

You are not owner , there is nothing called pagadi system legally although usage it is used.

He is Land lord and you are tenant (After death of your father you become automatic tenant if you reside in same rooms)

If land lord does not accept the rent and you don't know exact rent or not sure , apply in small cause court for fixation of standard rent . 
This can save your tenacy right but at same time his adv. may guide him to terminate your tenancy right hence legal dispute may start but you need to pay rent to him. 

Atleast sent him money order and legal notice

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 June 2017

Had your father paid nay 'pagdi'? Have any evidence, if paid?

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     28 June 2017

Sir, The Landlord can not force you to vacate the premises. You should preserve the old rent receipts and all evidences like postal articles received at the address in your name, electric bills,ration cards, and all such evidences proving your stay at the premises. You should send the total amount of due rent to the Landlord per money order to prove that you are willing to pay the rent. Secondly you can file a declaratory suit in the Court requesting the Court to declare you a deemed tenant of the premises. Good luck, Kishor Mehta

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 June 2017

Well advised by experts Mr. Madhu and Mr. Kishor Mehta, I agree.

Nothing more to add.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 June 2017

Agreed with experts Mr. Madhu, Mr. Kishore Mehta.

You may respond to point raised by Mr. P.Venu. 

Manoj P   29 June 2017

Thank you everyone for the valuable  advise.I do have rent receipt paid during 1980's which i preserved. I donot how much is the rent now so i am unable to pay the amount.Also i dont know the exact landlord of the house. Plus i donot know if that family has proper paper of my house as well. Is there a way to dertermine the landlord of the house.

rahul abhyankar (advocate)     29 June 2017

leave it man, let the owner take any action...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register