Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter


Search for Lawyers          

Please Wait ..

Discussion > Family Law > Maintenance > Maintenance for Husband orders Supreme Court   Unanswered Threads Post New Topic

Pages : 1 2 3

There are 24 Replies to this message


Legal Manager
[ Scorecard : 3805]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 10:52 Report Abuse

Pay hubby to fight for divorce: SC


NEW DELHI: In a rare departure from rules, the Supreme Court has directed a woman to pay Rs 10,000 to her estranged husband, who is unemployed, to

enable him fight their matrimonial dispute in a Bangalore court.

Normally, under Section 125 CrPC, it is the duty of a husband to pay maintenance allowance to his wife during a divorce proceeding or thereafter. But in this case, the apex court directed Ines Miranda to pay Rs 10,000 to her husband Santosh K Swamy, living in Chennai, to fight the legal battle in Bangalore, where Miranda stays along with her daughter, after noting that Swamy was unemployed.

A bench headed by Justice Dalveer Bhandari passed the direction while disposing of a transfer petition filed by Ines Miranda seeking transfer of a case filed by Swamy in a Chennai court to Bangalore.



Date:  30.12.2009



Total thanks : 1 times

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 


[ Scorecard : 22920]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 11:22 Report Abuse

Interesting Judgement, I would love to see the whole judgement.

A.Lawrence Peter Shaw

[ Scorecard : 29]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 16:25 Report Abuse

Very Good Order,


[ Scorecard : 24]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 17:23 Report Abuse

woman who just marry for money and then divorce for no substanial reason disgust me !! Just shows what kind of person she is


[ Scorecard : 24]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 17:24 Report Abuse

Yes very good judgment..what person walks out on their partner when they are already down. he may not have a job today.. he might get one tomorw ... where is the justice !

Member (Account Deleted)

[ Scorecard : 5659]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 19:47 Report Abuse

One thing our learned are missing.  The husband filed a case for "restitution of conjugal rights" and he is submitting before the Supreme Court that he is unemployed.  Had he been unemployed, how could he keep his wife in matrimonial home at Chennai with honour and dignity.

Member (Account Deleted)

[ Scorecard : 5659]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 19:49 Report Abuse

Further, the amount is for one time to fight the case and it can be termed as "litigation expenses" instead of maintenance.


[ Scorecard : 132]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 20:45 Report Abuse

Very good judgement.  Hope atleast now things change for justice to prevail.  If it is maintenance order, then it is really something to be applauded.  Would somehow help in publishing the entire judgement so that they can be of help to many of them in similar situations facing cases so as  to quote this as citation. 

sunil pagare

[ Scorecard : 337]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 20:59 Report Abuse

It is a proof of changing the law , it will help those husband who suffer alot from their Wife.

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh

[ Scorecard : 1963]
Posted On 30 December 2009 at 21:54 Report Abuse

dear friends, it is not a new law. i hereby quoting the hindu marriage act bellow:-

Hindu Marriage Act; Act no 25 of 55
Sec.  24: Maintenance Pendente lite and expenses proceedings. - Where in any proceeding under this Act it appears to the court that either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, has no independent income sufficient for her or his support and the necessary expenses of the proceeding, it may, on the application of the wife or the husband, order the respondent to pay to the petitioner the expenses of the proceeding, and monthly during the proceeding such sum as, having regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the respondent, it may seem to the court to be reasonable.-akg


Related Files

Previous Thread
Next Thread

Related Threads

Post your reply for Maintenance for Husband orders Supreme Court

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login

Not a member yet ?? Click here to signup



  • This is a public forum. Avoid posting content which you do not wish to disclose in public.
  • Use thank button to convey your appreciation.
  • Maintain professionalism while posting and replying to topics.
  • Try to add value with your each post.

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Forum Home | Forum Portal | Control Center | Who is Where | Popular Threads | Today's Topic | Recent Posts | Today's Posts | Post New Topic | Thread With Files | Top Threads - Month | Unreplied Topics | Forum Stats

web analytics