Kerala : What is the procedure for partitioning a plot ?




My mother owns a small plot in Kerala (Ernakulam) and now wants to split the plot into two plots (A & B) and provide me with one plot (A) of the property via a 'Gift Deed' . The remaning portion / plot  (B) is to be retained for a future date after which I will have the option to buy it from my brother.

  1. Can somone please share the step by step procedure for partioning a plot in Kerala ?
  2. Do we have to ask the relevant authorities to measure the plot ? If so, who can provide this service ?
  3. Can we just mention the dimensions of the plot in the gift deed ? (as I already have the rough dimensions)
  4. Can anyone recommend affordable lawyers/document writers who can provide advice and also prepare and register the deeds ?
  5. What would be the tax implications ?
  6. Once the plot is divided what steps need to be taken to ensure registration and details in the panchayat / registrars office are updated ?


Thank you.




Lawyer in Hyderabad.Email

Your mother is property owner. So she has to make a partition deed & get registered the same. partition deed for a property is executed to divide the property among different people - usually among the family members. A partition is a division of a property held jointly by several persons, so that each person gets a share and becomes the owner of the share allotted to him.



Yes, the process could be settled through a deed, duly executed. The local document writer can get the needful done. In gift deed, that too among family memebers, there could be no tax implications. Subsequent to the execution of the deed the mutation (pokkuvaravu) could be carried out in the village records. 


If it is self acquired/absolute property of the lady she can dispsoe it in her life time by a valid/registered deed e.g; Gift Deed being thought of by you.

The donor can gift by her free will and mention boundaries and donee can accept the gift. Once accepted gift is complete and confers ownership with immediate effect.

Later the gift deed can be presented to local official/authority to update in mutation records and latest copy of mutation records after updation ane be obtained.





The waiver of stamp duty/charges amonst relations/relatives is availabele in SRO and even on website of authortiy.


Visit SRO and check in person.

The local offical say; Patwaari may agree for measurements e.g; Nishaandehi.......


Mr. P.Venu is from your state.

You can benefit from his counsel.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu