LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Taranjeet (n.a)     17 April 2014

In-justice with my widow sister

My eldest sister was married at indore (M.P). In the Year 2011, her husband and father in law got expired. my sister is having two kids i.e. boy 6 of years and girl of 9 years. 

after death of my jiju, her mother in law denied to keep my sister at her home. after long struggle my sister filed a case against her in ludhiana punjab at women cell. 

her mother in law says that she is the only legal hire of entire property and is purchased under her name. 

what should my sister do now ?? Can anyone help regarding it ?

briefs :

•  Date of Marriage: 3-oct-2003
  • Date of father in law death: 26 january-2011
  • Date of husband's death: 1 march 2011
  • Date of FIR 10 january 2014

currently visits done by police dept. and they are untraced. 

• :

Learning

5 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     18 April 2014

she has all the right over her ex husband , you can contest the same and get it, enclosed pls find judgement of  mumbai high court in this regard.                                                                                                        MUMBAI: A widowed woman has a right to be maintained by her father-in-law after her husband's death, the Bombay high court has ruled. Twelve years after Mumbai resident Seema Shah was allegedly driven out of her matrimonial home by her in-laws after her husband died, the high court has granted her a reprieve—it said that she has a right in not only the property left by her deceased husband Jayantibhai Shah, but also that owned by her father-in-law. 

"She has not received her share in the estate of the deceased since she has not lived in her matrimonial home. She has also not been maintained out of the estate of the deceased although as a Hindu daughter-in-law she is entitled to be maintained even by her father-in-law as the widow," said Justice Roshan Dalvi while granting Seema letters of administration to the entire estate of her late husband. 

The court held that Seema had 1/3rd right in the flat which was purchased by her husband. Since Jayantibhai would have inherited part of the property of his father on the latter's death, she had a right to half of such property that he would inherit. The other half would go to the couple's daughter Vaishali. 

Seema's mother in law Jaywantiben and her daughter Vaishali had objected to the letters of administration to her. They claimed that Seema had left her husband and gone to live in her parents house and abandoned the couple's only daughter Vaishali. 

The court however pointed to the evidence and refused to believe this story. "(Seema) is not shown to be a career person. She would have been only a homemaker. It needs some depth and visualisation of the social position of a woman of the kind that Seema was," said the judge adding, "A woman/widow, her young husband having expired, would be in a fragile situation. She cannot prevent the entry of her parents-in-law in her home. She cannot take charge and control of her life at such a sudden misfortune. She is very likely to be thrown out of her home as she has deposed. She has nowhere except her parental home to go to. She may or may not be able to strike back. She knew that her daughter is not alone. She chose not to complain of the action or claim custody of her child. Perhaps that has been her sacrifice as a mother. She has since been bereft of her husband as well as her only child." 

The court also refused to believe Vaishali's story that her mother had abandoned her pointing out that she was just a child of six years at that time and her statements were hearsay. In fact Vaishali had told the trial court that her mother used to live with her father till his death. "The child would not know if and how her mother may have tried to get back into her husband's house, but was not allowed by her grandparents. She has been left where she was, uninterrupted, undisturbed and unobstructed. It may be unfortunate that she considers that she was abandoned by her mother." 

Jaywantiben and Vaishali also claimed that Seema had appropriated the gratuity and other dues that had to be shared with them. The court though said that while Seema may at the most owe Jaywantiben and Vaishali about Rs 1 lakh, they owed her lakhs of rupees as part of the value of the flat. 

1 Like

Taranjeet (n.a)     18 April 2014

i got that point . but main thing is that large part of property was registered under the name of mother in law . and at time of registration both my brother in law and uncle were alive. 

this is why situation is getting worst. Also, a plot registered under name of father in law is sold by mother in law without any information given to my sister. 

Now mother in law claims that , "she is the only owner of property because its  under her name and she has right to expell my sister from her house . and according to law she cannot even get share out of that". 

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     18 April 2014

These messages are missing in your first thread, you have to be open and clear, when u seek legal help. Half truth or misconceived  facts will lead to lot of unwanted developments. In your sister case she is eligible for maintenance from her in laws, they cannot deny that. As far as property is concerned you or she have to prove that, it was bought only out of proceeds from her ex husbands. It is difficult but not impossible. Better try for that.

I mentioned in thread that mother in law says that she is the only legal hire and property is purchased under her name .

moreover i have gathered more information on the case . 

1. property already sold without information .

2. A flat purchased under mother in law confirmed. (currently locked)

3. joint owner of 1 shop i.e father in law n mother in law. (currently rented)

4. a shop under father in law .( currently rented)

this is the information and confirmed. 

my point is that , my sister is living with us now in Ludhiana , punjab. it is very difficult to fight for the right by sitting so far. As marriage place is at indore and it takes 24 hour to travel there. we will need to get assistance from local lawyer. but before that i want to make sure and need some guidance . so that we can take a solid step . and i know that expert penal here will give us right directions. 

Punjab police has visited at Indore 3 times and all times they were untraced . all the raids were unsucessful. punjab court has issued 30 day notice and its valid till 16 may 2014. after 16 may they will be declared as PO. 

but property matter and this matter is different. it doesnot give justice to my sister and to her 2 little kids. 

kindly give clear guidance on this matter. 

punjab police says that if they are untraced then punjab police has no right to claim on that property. it is duty of M.P police and local lawyers to give guidance on local property matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register