Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     22 February 2010

How materialistic you lawyers are!!!

A very successful lawyer parked his brand-new Lexus in front of his office, ready to show it off to his colleagues.

As he got out, a truck passed too close and tore off the door on the driver's side.

The lawyer immediately grabbed his cell phone dialed 911, and within minutes a policeman pulled up.

Before the officer had a chance to ask any questions, the lawyer started screaming hysterically. His Lexus, which he had just picked up the day before, was now completely ruined no matter what the body shop did to it.

When the lawyer finally wound down from his ranting and raving, the officer shook his head in disgust and disbelief.

"I can not believe how materialistic you lawyers are," the cop said. "You are so focused on your possessions that you don't notice anything else."

"How can you say such a thing?" asked the lawyer.

The cop replied, "Don''t you know that your left arm is missing from the elbow down? It must have been torn off when the truck hit you."

"My God!" screamed the lawyer. "My Rolex!"

Learning

13 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     22 February 2010

I really do not know how many lawyers in India are living such luxurious life.

1 Like

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     22 February 2010

VERY FEW LAWYERS/ADVOCATES LIVING SUCH LUXURIOUS LIFE.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     22 February 2010

a lot many lawyers are enjoying such luxuries....Go to New Delhi or come to Chandigarh...

now there is a competition for BMWs, Mercedes....Rolex and many more things.

but as far as matter posted by Mr. Ramesh is concerned, this phenomena is not just confined to lawyers only...there are other professionals too who are more materialistic...but its all a part of human nature...even the God could not create Egalitarian society.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     22 February 2010

Kiran ji, luxuries of life, as I have seen is only in the hands of very few advocates. It is not a general phenomenon to be seen. Otherwise, every Court complex shows the real scene in India. I completely agree with the fact that materialism is seen in every profession. Sab se bada rupaiyya...  :D

Daksh (Student)     22 February 2010

Dear All,

Instead of comparing outselves with the materialistic have ones and have nots I would like to share the very relevant and interesting observation of one of my senior collegue from profession.

He said that every budding lawyer ought to give first 10 years of his professional life in learning and yearning and God willing this is such a profession that it will definately for sure will take care for rest of your life.

Coupled with this one more positive side of this marvellous profession/professional being observed by me is that the feeling of brotherhood and fraternity (there might be odd blacksheeps here and there) which is to be seen is missing otherwise.

I hope you all may agree with this.

Best Regards

Daksh

Daksh (Student)     22 February 2010

Hi All,

My previous mail seem to be boring so I have to share the following :

The madam opened the brothel door in Winnipeg and saw a rather dignified, well-dressed, good-looking man in his late forties or early fifties.

'May I help you sir?' she asked. 'I want to see Valerie,' the man replied.

'Sir, Valerie is one of our most expensive ladies. Perhaps you would prefer someone else', said the madam.

'No, I must see Valerie,' he replied.

Just then, Valerie appeared and announced to the man she charged $5000 a visit. Without hesitation, the man pulled out five thousand dollars and gave it to Valerie, and they went upstairs. After an hour, the man calmly left.

The next night, the man appeared again, once more demanding to see Valerie. Valerie explained that no one had ever come back two nights in a row as she was too expensive. But there were no discounts. The price was still $5000.

Again, the man pulled out the
money,gave it to Valerie, and they went upstairs. After an hour, he left.

The following night the man was there yet again. Everyone was astounded that he had come for a third consecutive night, but he paid Valerie and they went upstairs.

After their session, Valerie said to the man, 'No one has ever been with me three nights in a row. Where are you from?'.

The man replied, ' Ontario '.

'Really', she said. 'I have family in Ontario .'

'I know.' the man said. 'Your sister died, and I am her attorney. She asked me to give you your $15,000 inheritance.'

The moral of the story is that three things in life are certain.

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Being screwed by a lawyer

Daksh

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     22 February 2010

joke is joke .

let it enjoy .

why comment?

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     22 February 2010

Sharma ji enjoy hi to kar rahe hain na....

well i think it all depends upon the people how to keep the surroundings better.

we here in High Court do our level best to keep the things as clean as possible...and we all endeavour to maintain decent possible standards....may not be materialism but can be termed as Reward for hardwork :)

v.lakshminarayanan (prop)     22 February 2010

dear members

very interesting posting.

i cannot say that majority of lawyers are not materialistic.

now adays, most lawyers take almost the entire amount of their fees in advance even if the client is well known.

today a news item has appeared in the local news paper - the senior who appeared before a constitution bench for a state govt. charges 7.50 lacs per day. i will not name the lawyer but many fellow lawyer members may know the person i am talking about.

i know of another S  C senior who appeared for a big hindu temple. even before the matter reached any sort of conclusion (the arguments continued for overa week) he asked the advocate on record whether he would receive his fees come what may. he himself claimed to be an ardent devotee of the very god for whom he was appearing. is this not materialism?

i think the attitude is prevalent in high courts and supreme courts.

Daksh (Student)     23 February 2010

Dear Mr.Vijaylakshminarayan,

Is there anything wrong in being a good professional and equally good devotee as well.

Best Regards

Daksh

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     23 February 2010

The fact is that, in this profession, many can appear in the court as lawyer or an advocte by what ever name you called. But the true professions are those, who lives like an hermit, works like a bull, eat like a pig and sleeps like a loag. do we fit in to that decscripttion of a lawyer or an advocte?

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     23 February 2010

With due respect to Ramesh, I disagree with the School of thoughts that Lawyers are materialistic, all Laawyers are not the same.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     09 March 2010

You are right Mr. Assumi. All lawyers are not same. My experience is that NAME in the proffession counts. I am yet to understand ' How a senior well known lawyer could manage to get bail for his client .... when already all the grounds were already pleaded in the earlier bail application filed by a  junior Advocate. [ And this too without any change of circumstances]. Are the hefty fees justified because....................... ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register