Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

MJ   26 September 2017

Help with legal options in delayed property

Hi,

I had invested in a property in 2014 wherein I took a loan from a Bank and paid ~95% of the sale price. The remaining 5% was to be paid once the property was ready for possession.

The due date for completion was Q4 2015 and at this stage it seems the build will probably take another 1-2 years. I am paying the home loan and the interest component as well.

I am thinking of initiating legal proceedings against the builder however had a few queries:

1. Does the Bank have any obligations considering it is a tri-party agreement (Allottee, Builder and Bank)
2. Should I explore to close the home loan if I have necessary funds? I really dont want to continue to pay interest on the home loan if there is a way
3. There are a few other property owners who have legal proceedings already initiated against the builder. Would I need to file a new case or do I have the option to join them?
4. As per the agreement, if I miss paying a required payment or delay it, I am required to pay a penalty of ~18% on compounded interest however if the builder delays  then they are required to pay INR 2 per sqft every month of delay - can I demand equal terms now?
5. Am I legally entitled to demand a meeting with the promoter before filing legal proceedings?
6. I had gone through a broker who had advised me on investing in this project. Will he also be liable for any legal proceedings? Or what will his involvement be?

Apologies for the multiple questions, however will really appreciate some help on this.

Regards,
Concerned investor

Learning

3 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     27 September 2017

1)No.  The Bank has it's own laid down policies and as per the agreement entered between borrower and Bank should prevail.  A builder is a stranger to the contract.

2)It is your decision.  Some banks prematuredly close withou imposing any charges, some banks may charge.  Better is to keep a fixed deposit and transfer monthly interest towards installments.   Further as you may be having IT exemptions you have to opt the way to avoid tax through a consultant.

3)You can implead in the on going suits / complaints and the court has to permit.

4)Send a legal notice as such claiming for reimbursement and other incidental costs.  You are entitled to get compensated for the loss suffered due to delay under CP Act, as there is deficiency of service. 

5)Avoid meetings and serve legal notices and let his explanation be reduced in writing.  Before that hear his side, so that you can incorporate  efforts in your notice the facts of amicable settlemetn before filing complaint/suit.

6)An agent / representative is a stranger to the contract.  Caveat emptor is the principal.  It is the buyer that has to take proper precautions like a prudent man and decide which services his personal and financial interest in entering into a contract.  The broker just facilitates the process.  However, if a broker is involved in the project as partner or sharer, this may help you to implead him in complaint.

When you face a problem, the focus should be on the issue.  Your problem is getting either the apartment or compensation for the delay.  By involving those parties like Bank and broker, you are thinking to drag strangers .  But you can always make persuasive efforts with broker.   Explain the position to Banker and re scheduling of the EMI.

MJ   28 September 2017

Thank you Mr. Prasad. This really helps. I have a couple of follow up questions if you dont mind.

1. The bank does not charge a penalty in case I go ahead with a an early foreclosure. If I do so, it will save me from paying interest on the loan amount which I really cant claim for tax benefits at this stage. My concern is, if I do go ahead with a legal case, would it be better to have a bank loan running against no loan in the eyes of the court?

2. I did meet one of the builder's employees. He shared several details which I documented in an email and sent back to him. He replied back by saying that we never had the same discussion! I guess his concern was that I documented the conversation I had with him. To resolve this, should I respond back with specific questions about the status of the project so that it can be documented? I also take from your reply that documented conversation is the best way to communicate versus verbal or in person?

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     28 September 2017

1)The advocate handling your issue is the only competent man to state which helps the case.  It is true that if the loan is existing the pressures will be more and you can even take injunction and attach the properties.  Much depends on source of your income.  You can also contact branch manager and he can suggest you more ways as to keep the loan and still interest equals with earning on such deposit made either in your spouse or family members name jointly.  (The deposit should be sufficient to cover the interest portion.  If you are a retired person, your case can be strong.  How to make your claims strong can be suggested only by advocate through mutual discussions.

2.There are petty things.  An employee is an employee.  Ultimately whether the builder has delivered the possession with such Occupancy certificate as per agreement or not alone counts.

(You may also make inquiries about his other projects and present stage of construction.  Some builders sold same flat to three persons.  First ensure your interest )

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register