Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (None)     23 November 2016

Health insurance company denies cashless claim without any reason ombudsman refuses to intervene

I have been a customer of a prominent private health insurance company for 4 years. This is an individual health policy and I have not had any claim for 4 years. In August 2016, I was advised a minor procedure for which the company denied cashless claim without assigning any reason. A few months earlier I had been diagnosed with another illness which has rendered me disabled. After 3 months and 9 I duration is of filing claims, the company finally refused to provide any reason and said I can contact ombudsman. I contacted the ombudsman in Bangalore and he refused to intervene stating that unless there is a dispute of money, he cannot do anything.

This since I am short of money, I cannot take the risk of spending more than Rs. 100,000 and then finding that the company has denied the reimbursement for a reason which is probably the same as the reason for denial of cashless claim but I will not know until I finish the procedure. Right now, I'm managing my secondary illness for which the procedure was advised conservatively.

My question is that if the government cannot protect up customer in the case of denial of cashless claim, then what the course does a consumer have?

After talking to some of the other patients I had met in a hospital, it seems that health insurance companies routinely denied cashless claim so that patients have to pay upfront for their procedure is and then the companies will push them towards a settlement instead of paying the entire amount. Since the consumer has already paid and is probably in financial distress, therefore she would be willing to settle for a much lesser amount.

Can anyone please advise on how to handle this or if one can file a petition similar to class-action lawsuit

Learning

6 Replies

Rahul (None)     23 November 2016

In the earlier post, I meant that after 9 I did nations with the company, they just continue to deny cashless claim and said that they will not provide any reason and that is their final decision. Sorry for the typo

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 November 2016

Your query is not clear.

The policy duly describes the exclusion criteria.

You may approach an able counsel specializing in consumer/insurance matters.

The fee is reasonable and your counsel can opine on merits. 

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     24 November 2016

Government only has to pay  th emedical expenditure s it is duty bound to protect thehealth and strwength of all and sundry. I thas seperate miniatrysalo at central ansstategovernmtns concerning health. Lower Middl xclass people and poor can't afford the mounting cost of Medical Hospital inPrivate Hopitals. Government has tax payer money in its ocfers. So it has to come to the rescue of health protection or xcuring th disease of th victim patient. If you appreciate this answer please cli click the thank you button on this forum.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 November 2016

You may approach an able counsel specializing in consumer/insurance matters.

The fee is reasonable and your counsel can opine on merits. 

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     24 November 2016

I absolutely agree with you Mr. Rahul.  The private health insurance companies are milking the consumers by false promises and refusing their legitimate claims on frivolous grounds.  A substantial number of people became victims of this malacious practice by these companies can file a public interest litigation (by adding regulatory authority or concerned ministry also a party).  Consumer Courts are piled up with a large arrears and failed to deliver justice expeditiously in these sensitive matters.  These cases also can be challenged in civil courts subject to payment of court fee as prescribed by the State Govt.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 November 2016

Approach an able counsel specializing in consumer/insurance matters and obtain considered opinion.

If company is violating T&C of its won contract then you can approach, Insurance Ombudsman, IRDA,DCDRF.......

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register