LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ayush Mishra   19 May 2019

FD in either or Surviour Account

what is rule for FD in either or surviour account after death of a holder. please clear

Learning

3 Replies

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     20 May 2019

The deposit shall be dealt with exactly what "either or survivor" means on the date of maturity.
1 Like

Ayush Mishra   20 May 2019

Thanks for reply, I would need more clarity here if I had a FD with my father in either or surviour account so after the death of my father does it belongs to me completely?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     20 May 2019

Whoever survives can claim such amount after providing the death certificate in original and informing yo Bank about the death in writing and removal of the name of deceased..  The direction is to bank for settling the amount, and the survivor may not be the owner of entire money and he is the trustee of the deceased.  The bank is not concerned with such legal heir issues. Generally, when there are several children and one remain with parents, for sake of convenience such accounts are opened.  Many of such joint holders claim that entire money belongs to them and given by the deceased which may not be correct and has to be decided within legal heirs.  As far as Bank is concerned they have to pay to the surrviving depositor.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register