LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sathish V R (Self)     28 November 2014

Credit card settlement harassement

This is Sathish here and I live in Chennai. We have been receiving calls from Phoenix ARC related with credit card used by father in law during 2005-2008 which is unsettled. He had a CC from ABN AMRO during that time and he accepts that he had left in unsettled during that time. He had changed his residence during 2012 and also his mobile no. We asked about legal connections with ABN AMRO to Phoenix guys and they reverted that ABN AMRO had changed its name to RBS and they are the authorised debt collectors and provided us the necessary documents too. We went in for a settle ment discussion and they agreed to settle it for Rs 10000/- We asked for a proper account statement as my Father in Law had some doubts about the CC A/C no mentioned in it. They are saying that they would not be able to provide any statement as RBS has only provided them the details of their dues. When we insisted that we would only pay if A/C statement is provided, they sent it to us in updated in an Excel sheet (attached for your reference) which anyone can modify or prepare it by themselves. They have started again torturing us to pay the settlement mentioning that they have provided the required A/C statement and we are fighting back that this is not a valid statement.

Sir/Mam, we are not saying that we will not pay the dues, but we also have to know the account details before making any settlements, right. Also we are insisting that we would be providing the settlement cheque only in the name of ABN AMRO or RBS but they are insisting that ot should be in the name of PHOENIX ARC. We haven't done any payment yet and thot I would seek your advice before proceeding. Can anyone give me solution on this please.

Regards,

Sathish

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

sir,

this definitely looks like a red flag to me...just dont yeild to them and seek for appropriate legal help.

you can also give a complaint at the local police station about the harrassment..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 December 2014

You are not liable to pay debt of your father in law.... You can not be contacted leave apart asking to pay debt of your father in law... If ARC has not secured all statements of all months showing each entry your father in law is not at fault... If father in law has not accepted/acknowledged debt in last 3Y then your lawyer may opine that it is hopelessly time barred and recovery can't be enforced.... If ARC has not provided any evidence of debt (to you) then you may reject the claim as invalid and caution the ARC not to record any debt or default at all.. even as written off...... The lawyer that has examined all doc's on record and inputs can advise you the best.. Approach your lawyer...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register