LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mdc   21 January 2016

Credit card issue with axis

I am a self-employed unmarried girl. I had a credit card with Axis bank. Due to unfortunate events and unforeseen circumstances I lost a lot of money and fell in debt around one and half year back. I stopped using the credit card much before but as I had unpaid balance they grew a lot with late fees, and non-payment of interests. 

Last year someone contact me from Axis bank saying they want to settle the loan. My total due was 64,118/- and the settlement was done in 42,500. I paid 13,000/- right away and I asked them if they can dole out the rest of the amount in easy installments as I do not have a job anymore and it is impossible for me to make payments around 10,000 per month. They weren't ready to listen and they basically threatened me that if I do not settle as per their terms they will put criminal charges over me. I guess they can.

After making total 15,500/- payments I stopped paying as I did not have any money. I am still jobless and hardly earning any amount to keep myself fed and alive. I received a legal notice today with a lot of legal terms and they notified me that if I do not make the total amount payment, not the settlement amount payment, within 7 days of receiving this letter, they will put the following IPCs on me: 403, 406, 405, and 420.

Kindly advice how to respond. I am willing to settle the debt but in easy installments. I cannot make any payment more than 2,000 per month. Also, I am not sure why I should pay the whole amount if they already made a settlement.

I am very unaware of the law regarding these. Kindly help me.

Learning

2 Replies

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     25 January 2016

It is better to find way out to settle things as it involves public money. Atleast make sincere efforts to get of the debt. If you need time u can walk in to the bank along with legal person and sort out things. Coming back to the main issue, it is not so easy to file criminal case as such. It is civil dispute and it doesnot attract criminal color at all.  It is only breach of contract and not breach of trust.

(Guest)

To be very frank you have to give money back and Mr. raghvan has already explained it is breach of contract and is civil suit. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register