Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter


Search for Lawyers          

Please Wait ..

Discussion > Criminal Law > Procedure > CrPC 156: Whether Section 200 Complaint necessary?   Unanswered Threads Post New Topic

Pages : 1 2

There are 14 Replies to this message


Advocate-on-Record, Supreme Court of India
[ Scorecard : 1066]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 07:41 Report Abuse

An application u/s 156(3) Cr PC had been filed long back asking direction from MM to direction to police to investigate a cognigable offence. At the fag end, Ld. MM puts question as to why Section 200 private complaint was not filed along with S. 156(3) application. The simple query is that whether it is mandatory that Section 200 private complaint had to be filed along with S. 156(3) application? Does S. 156(3) CrPC mandates a condition precedent that Section 200 private complaint is also to be filed. Its an URGENT query. If experts in the forum pens their view, we shall be greatly obliged.

Thanking in anticipation.

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 

Arvind Singh Chauhan

[ Scorecard : 12860]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 08:44 Report Abuse

Not at all. Both are totally different things. Investigation would be going on . Check the progress report if it is sent in the court. If police files final report you would have an option open to protest and to apply under Sec 200 there after.

Adv Archana

Practicing Advocate
[ Scorecard : 11454]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 08:50 Report Abuse

 It depends upon the gravity of the offence. Actually the magistrate can take cognizance of the offence u/s 190(3) upon information received from any person other than a police officer that such an offence is committed and order an investigation u/s 156(3). But when the FIR is not filed and a private person wants the magistrate to order an investigation u/s 156(3) it is better to file a private complaint u/s 200 crpc first and make an application in it seeking directions to the police.

Total thanks : 2 times

Suchitra. S

[ Scorecard : 4733]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 09:34 Report Abuse

Yes, I agree with archana ji.


[ Scorecard : 5328]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 09:38 Report Abuse


adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

practicing advocate
[ Scorecard : 36371]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 11:17 Report Abuse

sec 200 of for filing private complaint.  If it is not mentioned nothing wrong.

sandeep jindal

[ Scorecard : 43]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 11:24 Report Abuse

there is no such mandate. both provisions are speaking about different things..

when magistrate takes cognizance u/s 190(1) (a) cr.p.c. then he proceeds to examine the complainant u/s 200 cr.p.c. and here, subsequent to taking cognizance there can be no investigation u/s 156(3) cr.p.c.

but when magistrate order investigation u/s 156(3) cr.p.c. and police file report u/s 173 cr.p.c. then Magistrate take cognizance u/s 190(1) (b) and  proceeds as per provisions of sec. 204 cr.p.c. and here, subsequent to taking cognizance there can be further investigation u/s 156(3) cr.p.c. and further charge sheet may be filed by police u/s 173(8) cr.p.c.

gravity of offence has nothing to do with these legal provisions..

there are many authorities over this topic...

plz let me know if any other view is available as per law...

Raghav Sood

[ Scorecard : 512]
Posted On 13 December 2009 at 16:38 Report Abuse

well there is no mandation to file complinant US 200 along with section 156(3) however you have not mentioned the offences and its bit dificult to answer if the offence is bailable and noncognizable then better course is to file pvt complinat US 200 on the other hand at this stage magistrate has no power to direct the aplicant or complianat to refuse to entrtaint compliant US 156(3) or to ask to file compliant SU 200 CrP.C you should wait for completion for investigation what police do and in case they submit cancellation report then go for protest petition because it is a compliant

prakash gautam

[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 14 December 2009 at 07:17 Report Abuse

first of all know diffrence between purpose of u/s 156(3)&200 in the context of facts and circumtances prior it yet to be undisclosed some but in later all known by aggrieved person/complainant.MM can treat your u/s156(3) application as complaint.if both run concurrently its decided acoordingly u/s 210 cr pc


[ Scorecard : 8188]
Posted On 15 December 2009 at 05:42 Report Abuse

There is no need of a petition u/s 200 because the order u/s 156(3) Cr.P.C is on the petition supposed to be filed U/s 200.

Related Files

Previous Thread
Next Thread

Related Threads

Post your reply for CrPC 156: Whether Section 200 Complaint necessary?

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to login

Not a member yet ?? Click here to signup



  • This is a public forum. Avoid posting content which you do not wish to disclose in public.
  • Use thank button to convey your appreciation.
  • Maintain professionalism while posting and replying to topics.
  • Try to add value with your each post.

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Forum Home | Forum Portal | Control Center | Who is Where | Popular Threads | Today's Topic | Recent Posts | Today's Posts | Post New Topic | Thread With Files | Top Threads - Month | Unreplied Topics | Forum Stats

web analytics