Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     06 April 2009

Country needs laws that provide stringent punishments

Country needs laws that provide stringent punishments: Kalam

In the backdrop of Mumbai attacks, former President APJ Abdul Kalam has pressed for enactment of laws that would provide for time-bound trial and tough punishment for perpetrators.

He also advocated the need for the UN to create a counter-terror force that would have mandate to target terrorist training centres and other such facilities wherever they exist.

"People who carry out terror attacks against India cannot be left scot-free. One way or the other we have to ensure that justice should be done to our nation," Kalam said.

He said the country needs a "law which will provide stringent punishments and faster justice to victims in a time-bound manner."

Kalam, who had earned the title of "People's President', was responding when asked about his suggestions for the government to deal with the menace of terrorism in the backdrop of Mumbai attacks.

He said the two new laws enacted after 26/11 -- National Investigation Agency Act (NIA) and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment (UAPA) Act -- were a "good starter" in the direction of ensuring that perpetrators do not go scot free.

Kalam said he had suggested to the government to pass a Bill called National Campaign to Eradicate Terrorism (NCET) Bill, under which a unified intelligence agency can be created.

He said he has sent a proposal to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the second time after the 26/11 strikes.

"The creation of an agency like this will empower them to deal with the state and Central government intelligence agencies under one roof or administration with the latest technological tools and devices," the former president said.

Describing cross-border terrorism as a "nuisance" for India, he said the government has "behaved responsibly" while dealing with Pakistan in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror strikes.

"It looks to me we have so far behaved responsibly," Kalam said, while underlining that war is not a solution.

"I personally believe a war puts a nation ten years behind. We must see our people also. We are big nation and a responsible nation," he said.

"They (Pakistan) want a war. For them it is nothing. For us, it is everything," said Kalam.

He suggested that Pakistan was "creating these type of problems" because of "jealousy" and "our economic progress. We should not become a victim of our making," Kalam said.
(news appeared in ZEE)

Learning

7 Replies

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     06 April 2009

Thanks for the information

A.Mohamed Thaheer (ADVOCATE)     06 April 2009

However, in our Democracy, Justice is always gets delayed at the behest of tedious procedures and the delaying tactics of the Advocates, forgetting the concept that DELAYED JUSTICE IS DENIED JUSTICE.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 April 2009

I certainly agree with the view expressed by our respected former president. But I am also of the firm opinion that such acts of  Crimes Against Humanity, should staright away be handed over to International Criminal Court.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     06 April 2009

Law, by itself, cannot wipe off terrorism!  What is the point of having stringent laws, when burocrats & politicians make a joke of every rule in the book??? We are still waiting for the person who attacked the Parliament building to die his death!

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 April 2009

I dont think it is the fault of law but the system we are living in. we have ICC and a person of highest status like APJ. Abdul Kalam, speking about stringent law reflects the reality that some where something is wrong in the system and not the law itself.

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     06 April 2009

Respected Members of the Forum

Please correct me if I m wrong

In our judicial system we hv more rights then duties and abuse of judicial system by Politicians and Bureaucrats are main defects and V advocates are failing to give them proper education of law. See Kasab got a right to defend himself for the genocide of 26/11 in our Nation. Who has already confessed that he is Terrorist from Pakistan. What Anjali Waghmare is going to do with this Confession? Unfortunate thing for our nation.

What V all are doing?

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     07 April 2009

My Dear Rekha,

Is it not our basic criminl Jurisprudence that accused be defended before convictons? Every acused is persumed innocent untill proved otherwise by the competent court. As far as confessionsl statements made by Kasab, is concerned, it has to be scrutunized by the Court with other material on records, and if acepted by the Court, he has to be convicted, and I dont think Anjali, though a competent criminal Lawyer, she could do more than that.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register