Consumer forum related matter

Is consumer forum have the power to send a person in jail who don't fulfill the order passed by forum or every time the forum accept bail to arrested person ? Is it legal or because of lack of power given to forum? Is it possible to challenge anywhere about everytime accepting bail ?
Law Student

In my opinion, you can file an appeal against the consumer forum's decision to grant bail in the state commission (i.e. the State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission.) If instances of the arrested person in question of failing to comply with the forum's order are many, and he/she has been granted bail several times, too, your case shall be considered.


Under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, district forums, state commissions and the national commission can imprison a person for disobeying an order. Section 27 of the Act gives these bodies the powers of a judicial magistrate as set out under the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. The Act, however, is silent on the procedure to be followed when exercising these powers.and xconsumer forum accepts bail too from that person for his relase from prison.

Total likes : 1 times


Thank you very much to both of you to give your valuable time and advise . In reply to Raveena ji, let me clear that the order of compensation was passed by state commission and in compliance the order was executed by district commission .I think Ms.Usha Kapoor is much near to my question about exercising of criminal power.

Ms Usha Kapoor is absolutely right,Iagree with her. 




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu