LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Confusion about domestic violence law

Can someone tell me why Domestic Violence needs to be quashed ? There are some things i am still not clear and want to know if about this law. Is there any FIR registered once the case is registered ? In my case the case is admitted directly in court and then it is forwarded to protection officer. I am not sure what happens after this. Most of the relief sought by my wife are of civil nature however i can assume that it is a quasi case i.e. half criminal half civil just like Crpc 125 then why someone needs quashing ? I can assume that only reason it needs quashing is if there is any FIR prepared other than that i am not sure why it requires quashing. I will be anticipating experts reply on this.

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     19 April 2014

1.    No FIR is registered based on mentioned brief.

2.    A PO (protection Officer) makes DIR.

3.    After DIR submission, complaint case proceeds in accordance with procedural Laws which is CrPC here and operative procedural Section under The Code is S. 125 CrPC.

4.    I have always maintained a position here that is Bharat Ratna DV Act is a Criminal Law in motion disguised as quasi-civil lollipop.

5.    It needs quashing because the procedural law under motion is CrPC which is The Code of Criminal Procedure read with Bar of S. 31 DV Act and in its reasoning I add; Section 23 (1) of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act provides that in any proceeding before the Magistrate, he may pass such interim order as he deems just and proper. Sub-section (2) provides that if the Magistrate is satisfied that an application prima facie discloses that respondent is committing or has committed an act of domestic violence or that there is likelihood that respondent may commit an act of domestic violence, he may grant an ex parte order on the basis of the affidavit in such form, as may be prescribed, of the aggrieved person under Sections 18, 19, 20, 21 or 22 against the respondent. Are under some of these Sections of The Code your missing wife didnot apply her complaints !

6.    Section 31 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act provides for penalty for breach of protection order. Under sub-section (1), a breach of protection order or of an interim protection order by the respondent shall be an offence and shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or fine or both. Section 32 provides that notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, the offence under sub-section (1) of Section 31 shall be cognizable and non bailable.

7.    As is clear from Section 31 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, when an order under Section 23, whether under sub-section (1) on hearing the respondent or under sub-section (2), an ex parte interim protection order, was passed and respondent commits breach of that order, respondent is punishable as provided under sub-section (1) of Section 31. That offence, as provided under Section 32 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act is non bailable and cognizable. But the cognizable offence provided under Section 31 (1) would only be the result of a breach of the protection order as provided under Section 18 of Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act.

8.    For rest of the understanding on this clumsy Law read my other articles on Bharat Ratna DV Act in this very forum.

{Last reply}

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 April 2014

The position of this law has been explained thoroughy and appreciably by TajobsIndia, hope your doubt about quashing is now cleared (?)

LAXMINARAYAN - Sr Advocate. ( solve problems in criminal cases. lawproblems@gmail.com)     20 April 2014

DV ACT is more draconian than known .

Large provisions are economic parts.  While CRPC 125 may be denied if  wife at fault but not so in DV ACT.

And it will be life long liability.

So QUASH means bury the demon at its roots.

But many QUASH efforts are holding the bull by horns and miserably fail. That is you say case is false, allegations are false. Settled law in such matter is contest it at lower court and Quash petitions are bounced back to lower court.

But there are technical matters. Basic contradictions in complaint / application.  Certain provisions of law which are not properly followed .

ALL THESE VARY FROM CASE TO CASE AND ONLY AN EXPERT PERSON WHO HAS HANDLED SUCH  PROBLEMS CAN ONLY HELP.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register