LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dird (student)     22 February 2012

Change the statement recorded to police in the court

I had complained to the police of a theft case with me and they arrested that person who himself was a cop in delhi police. He is in jail right now from past 6 months and now i have to go to court for recording of my statement for the first time since he was caught. In my official statement to the police it is not wriiten that the person caught was him.

I want to know if i reverse the statement given to the police in the court is there will be any case filing against me by the court?

Learning

3 Replies

Ganga Dhar (Junior Advocate)     26 February 2012

Dird, statement under section 161(3) CrPC is no evidence, it can only be used in the court to contradict the maker of the statement and if you have made some statement under the act then you can change that statement and very well say that police did not record so and so or recorded which you did not state. You would be subjected to cross examination by the opposite party means if you are Prosecution Witness (ofcourse you are) then the defence can contradict you against your earlier statement.

The statement which you would be submitting in the court as PW is called examination-in-chief or chief examination and if you do not tow the line of prosecution and if it goes against prosecution then you could be treated hostile and even prosecution can cross examine you.

But if you can withstand the defence cross examination and if you are true then go ahead otherwise dont ruin some innocent's life. You may have some personnel grudge against anybody but please don't implicate him falsely in a criminal case. Rest is up to you because I believe in life after death.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     28 February 2012

However, I differ, any other statement would benefit the accused only.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Ganga Dhar (Junior Advocate)     29 February 2012

See Mr. Shonee, It would be more appropriate to know the difference between statement before Investigation Officer which is covered u/s 161 Cr PC which is NO EVIDENCE and it can be used by the defense/accused to contradict the maker of it when he gives statement in the court which is regarded as Evidence and is called Chief Examination of PW and if he states anything different to his statement u/s 161 Cr PC and if he withstand the cross-examination by the defense/accused then it is Evidence,

Mr Dird if had given statement even u/s 164 Cr PC then also NO PROBLEM. The only test is that he should withstand the cross-examination by the defense/accused.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register