LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

suman   26 September 2017

Can we challenge any govt benefits of my deceased brother

Sir, my brother recently demised as In service Employee in central government.
He doesn't have any childrens in his own. but recently 6 months before (after confirmed severity of ill ness) his wife adapted one person(who is his wife sister only son).
Now my question is ....
is we have any right to challenging this adaptation.
Infact, we are 6 brothers and 2 sisters in my family and around 20-30 childrens are there all belongs to very very poor family holders. but with out our knowledge, my brother wife taken adapt in her sister son only.

1) Service pension going to his wife(Maternal family)
2)Service job going to his adapted son(Belongs to maternal family)
3) All death benfits going once again his wife maternal family(to maternal family only).
Finally, my question is can we challenge any of the above benfits which a are belongs to my brother....
After completion of death ceremony my brother his wife didn't communicate with us,, even we are trying to talked to her she put of her phone switched off..
Kindly give justice under humanitarian grounds and honorable court of law......

Thanks in advance ....

Learning

6 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     26 September 2017

The child was adopted before the death of your brother. What all formality followed for such adoption has to be checked. The adoption of child has to be less than 15 years under the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act,1956. In your case you state that the adopted child has been offered the service job of the adopted father, how that is possible if the child was of age less than 15 years?

If the child adopted was already age of majority, unless there exists any custom or usage applicable to the parties which permits person who has completed the age of 15 years being taken in adoption, but this may not be the case here.

You should challenge the service offer made to the adopted child on the basis of unlawful adoption as well challenge the adoption in the court being done on the basis of infringement of provision section 10 the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act,1956.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 September 2017

It is believed that you are all Hindu.

Confirm!

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 September 2017

If Hindu: His wife, Mother, adopted son ( per valid adoption) are his ClassI legal heirs.

GO thru:

Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act 1956

Section 10: The child must be less than 15 yrs of age. However, if a custom to the contrary exists, such an adoption may take place.

Section 12 : an adopted child is deemed to be a natural child of his adopted parents for all purposes. All relations with the natural parents and family are severed and new relationships with the adopted parents are established. …………………………………the adopted child is not divested of his property that has vested in him before adoption and that an adopted child cannot divest anybody of his vested property after adoption.

Section 13 : that subject to any ante-adoption agreement, the adoptive parents do not lose their right of alienation of their property after adoption.

Section 15: a valid adoption cannot be canceled either by the adoptive father or mother. Neither can the adopted child renounce the adoptive parents and go back to the family of his birth.

Yes sir, we all Hindu family

Yes sir, we all Hindu family

but that is in our consent or knowledge.....
we don't have any right to claim benfits sir....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register