LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vankat (na)     21 January 2013

Ancestral property no heirs

My grand father had 4 daugthers and two sons one of whom is my father. All the daugthers were married before 1980 and my father being the only educated person in the family arranged and paid for all their marriages. We were relatively well off due to my father's employment and have never asked for a share in the earnings of the family owned farm land till date. 

My great grand father passed on 30 acres of land to my grand father and my grand father increased it to 65 acres. My grand father passed away in 1985 with out a will. After that  my father's brother i.e. my uncle took over the opertions of the farm land and has been the sole beneficiary of the property till now. He also increased the extent of the land to 75 acres from 60 acres from the time my grand father expired.

My uncle is married to one of the daughters of my aunt i.e. he married his elder sister's daughter. They don't have any children. My father has two children, my sister and I. 

With this being the case,  what proportion are my sister and I  entitled to in the property? Secondly, what rights do my uncle have in selling or gifting away the existing property and to what extent? I would appreciate your response in this regard. Thank you.

Learning

1 Replies

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     21 January 2013

Your sister and yourself are legally entitled to 4.16 acres each.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register