Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harsh (None)     27 January 2019

Advance made on basis of negotiable instrument is not loan?

Money Lender Acts Prohibts from doing Money Lending Business without Licence. As per the act one can not give LOAN unless he is registered for the same under the Authority. LOAN for this purpose Means...

As per The section 2 (VII) of Chhattisgarh Money Lenders Act 

"loan" means an actual advance made within twelve years from the date of the last transaction whether of money or in kind at interest and shall include any transaction, which the Court finds to be in substance a loan, but it shall not include -

(a).......

(b).......

(c).......

(d) 

(e) an advance made on the basis of a negotiable instrument, as defined in the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), other than a promissory note,

From the above it clearly means that one Can give Loan/Advances against the Cheque and it will not fall under the perview of Money Lender Act as Loan Given and therefore will Not require any Licence.

What if somebody is giving  Money against cheque on quite regular basis and Taking interets to the tune of 25 % Per Annum through Banking system  and also showing his entire Interest income under Income from other sources in Income Tax Returns.

Is it legally allowed ? The Money Lenders act Perhaps does not prohibits to charge interest on Advance advance made on the basis of a negotiable instrument (Like Cheque)

Thanks

Learning

5 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     27 January 2019

What are the facts of case/ dispute ?

What is your locus standie, if it is not an academic query ? 

P. Venu (Advocate)     27 January 2019

It appears that you have misread the provisions as to clause (e) of Section 2(viii) of the Act.

Harsh (None)     28 January 2019

Sir , It is an Academic Query only. I have read so many comments on various forums that money Lending at interest without licence is illegal. But when I read Money lender Act, it says that if an Advance is given against NI say Cheque it is not loan. If it is not loan as defined in MLA, then it will be outside of the ambit of Money lending act and not offence under MLA. So How is money Lending without Licence at interest is illegal. I am looking for that piece of paper or the rule that could establish that Advancing or lending at interest is illegal without licence to do so. Side Note, P Venu sir please tell me how I have misread. I have copy /pasted the the entire sub clause. Am I misinterpretating the clause Thanks

Sir , It is an Academic Query only. I have read so many comments on various forums that money Lending at interest without licence is illegal. But when I read Money lender Act, it says that if an Advance is given against NI say Cheque it is not loan. If it is not loan as defined in MLA, then it will be outside of the ambit of Money lending act and not offence under MLA. So How is money Lending without Licence at interest is illegal. I am looking for that piece of paper or the rule that could establish that Advancing or lending at interest is illegal without licence to do so. Side Note, P Venu sir please tell me how I have misread. I have copy /pasted the the entire sub clause. Am I misinterpretating the clause Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register