LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pleasehelp   10 October 2017

498 a fir investigation delay

I filed for divorce recently. Thereafter my husband physically assaulted me/ beaten me up one night. Next day morning, I approached local police station and as per their advice submitted a medical report (stating details and reasons behind the wounds,injuries,bruises resulted from the said physical assault) from a Government Hospital.Police lodged a 498 A FIR against my husband and told me at that point in time soon police would wrap up investigation and issue arrest warrant against my husband. A week after filing of 498A FIR, Investigation Officer asked me to submit marriage registry certificate, marriage photo, any previous complaint against my husband, witness name and address etc. which I submitted promptly. Since filing of FIR two weeks have passed on. Police did not issue arrest warrant against my husband as yet. I have no clue on the status of 498A FIR. Whenever I asked Investigation Officer about the status of 498A FIR, Investigation Officer came up with some excuses rather than any status. I am afraid police might negotiated some under the table dealings with my husband.

1. Any idea, how long it takes to complete 498A FIR investigation?

2. What can I do to expedite the 498A FIR investigation?

3. Is medical report not enough for 498A FIR investigation?

4. Do police need other documents likes of marriage registry certificate, marriage photo, any previous complaint against my husband, witness name and address etc. for 498A investigation? If those documents are needed they should not have waited for 7-8 days since lodging 498A FIR for those documents.

5. Any advice what I can do next?

Learning

1 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     10 October 2017

There cannot be any fixed time for carrying out investigation and submitting the charge report to the court. everything depends upon facts and circumstances of the case. As per the present norms, the Police are under instruction not to make hasty. If you feel that the SHO is carrying out a shody work, you may  bring the matters to the notice of the SP of the district.

In the meanwhile, you can seek a copy of the FIR and the present status of the investigation, if need be, under RTI. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register