Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

“where to get closing argument ideas”

“Where to Get Closing Argument ideas”

During closing argument, you want to drive your arguments home to the jury.  It's not persuasive to merely say, "The witness is wrong because she's biased."  You need to be able to help the jurors understand how that bias affected her testimony and why they shouldn't believe her.  Before you start preparing your next closing argument, start collecting the stories and analogies that will help you persuade the jurors.  Here are nine resources to help you develop persuasive closing argument material:
1. Aesop's Fables.  Aesop's Fables contains dozens of valuable themes for use in your next trial.   By weaving these fables into your closing argument, you'll help jurors immediately understand the underlying values of your arguments and see why your client deserves to win.  The Tale of the Sour Grapes, the Tale of the Lioness and the Vixen, the Tale of the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing -- these stories will not only educate your jurors, they'll also entertain them.
2. The Bible.   I don't know about you, but whenever I think of a persuasive "southern lawyer," I envision an older, white haired gentleman wearing a seersucker suit, preaching to the jury in a southern drawl while pounding a well-worn leather bible on the rail of the jury box.  Quoting from the Bible in closing argument has been an effective persuasive tactic since...  well, since Biblical times, I guess.  Be aware of the caselaw in your local jurisdiction before quoting from the Bible (some courts explicitly frown upon the practice), but if you're allowed, consider adding Biblical references to your closing argument.  You might employ entire stories, direct quotations of Biblical passages, or perhaps you'll only allude to a "bite from the apple" or ask them not to "split the baby."  If nothing else, at least read the entire book of Proverbs: It's probably the best source of common sense arguments you'll ever find.

https://www.lawweb.in/2013/08/where-to-get-closing-argument-ideas.html

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More